9 - Kisses

Ainsley had another date, but first she needed to get through her day. She and Henry were meeting to create a plan. If she thought she could get away with it, she'd take a shot. Since she didn't want to be fired, she would practice meditation which she didn't know how to do. Breathe deeply and find her Zen. She didn't have a Zen. Lilli had her ocean or was it orgasms from Zach? It was probably both at the same time.

Could eating chocolate be Zen? Unlike shots, chocolate was approved for the workplace. Luckily, she had a bag of Hershey's Kisses in her drawer. They were her emergency stash usually meant for PMS. She faced a genuine emergency.

Ainsley arrived in the conference room first. Her laptop was charged and connected to the network. Check. Check. While she waited for Henry who wasn't back from his hour lunch, she peeled the silver wrapper and popped a chocolate in her mouth. Meanwhile, she tried to figure out where he went every day. Not the cafeteria, she looked. Maybe he was one of those guys who sat on the toilet forever. Ainsley would never do that at work.

Guys did. With Rhys as a best friend, she knew a lot about men including their bathroom habits at work. Men were disgusting with their belching, farting, and scratching their balls. Ainsley would never live with a guy unless he was fantastic at giving orgasms to make up for all the gross stuff. Maybe Rhys and Terry were the perfect couple because they cancelled themselves out. When they lived together, Rhys complained about the bathroom trash. Girls could be gross too, but at least they never left the seat up. Rhys would never replace the toilet paper roll either. Living alone had its perks.

"Hey. Candy, sweet!" Henry appeared with papers in his hand.

"It's mine, get your own." She took another Kiss from the bag. "So what's your plan?"

He handed her a piece of paper. She read through the standard list of social media and book reviews. She turned the paper over and expected more. When she looked up at him, he looked proud.

"Did you miss the memo? They want this to be a bestseller like her breakout novel. Your list is what we did for Matthew Clark's romance."

"He doesn't write romance. I should know I promoted his last release."

"Exactly my point. We hardly promoted it. I think it's available online for $1.99. By the way, big deal you had his book. I've been to his house."

"Right. You've been to England. You are a pathological liar."

She unwrapped two and shoved them both in her mouth. "He has a house in the U.S., but don't believe me." She picked up her phone and scrolled. "Oh no, I can only find a picture of me with his dog and his wife."

"Whatever. What do you have?"

She smiled. "I'll..."

Catrina stepped in. "How's it going, you two? Oh, chocolate!"

Ainsley smiled. "Help yourself."

Henry smiled. "We're done. Here."

Catrina read his sheet and turned it over. She looked up at Ainsley with a frown.

"That's what he did. I was about ready to share my proposal."

She tapped present on her PowerPoint. Every suggestion had a data to support it. Catrina smiled and if possible steam came out of Henry's ears.

"Nice work. I expect you both to put this plan into action."

He banged his fist on the table, and Ainsley held out the bag of chocolate. "Need one." He shook his head, and she smirked and unwrapped another silver piece of calm. "Your loss."

Ainsley left the conference room feeling triumphant. She still had to work with him, but at least Catrina knew she had been the thoughtful, methodical one. She would work overtime to promote Nancy's book. After all it was her job, but her efforts would benefit Lilli's paycheck.