42 - Worry

When Ainsley disappeared in the bathroom, Ian worried she was sick again. Her illness had zapped her energy. It worried him how her stamina hadn't returned. She slipped her phone into her pocket when Brooke assaulted her at the bathroom door. After her reassuring nod, he felt better. She was probably texting Lilli.

Margot arrived after David and his family. He watched Nana greet her. Had his dad been nervous?

David said, "When do we eat? I'm starving."

Ian had to agree as he chuckled. Andrew announced. "It's ready."

Brooke frowned. "No waffles."

"Nana made her strata. Brooke, you loved it last year." Rose pointed to the large casserole dish. Ian loved the egg, cheese, bacon, and bread bake. "It's a tradition on Gillespie Christmas mornings."

Brooke murmured. "It's not Christmas."

There was fruit and pastries and plenty of food for everyone. As they ate, Nana turned to him. "I heard Margot met your mother. How is she?"

"She's fine. Nan, I never remember you meeting my mother."

"Of course, I know her."

"I met his sister. Why can't she be my cousin?"

Rose winked. "When Ian marries Ainsley, she'll become your cousin."

Ian groaned. "We aren't getting married."

Nana turned to Ainsley. "Do you agree with my grandson?"

"I've never been a fan of the hoopla."

Brooke demanded, "How will Val know to stay away if you don't have a ring?"

David snickered. "The redhead."

Ian's head spun to his uncle. "How do you know?"

"We caved from the pressure. I took Brooke over so I could check out the after school program. She definitely likes you."

Ian groaned, and Ainsley squeezed his thigh under the table. He cleared his throat. "If Ainsley would come climbing."

Brooke jumped in her seat. "Please, please."

"I wasn't thinking of the two of you together. But... Maybe." It might work. "Is she going to do the after school program?"

Rose said, "It's pricey."

Ian stopped from rolling his eyes. With Rose and David's salaries they could afford it.

Nana said, "We paid for Ian's activities, so we can do the same for Brooke."

His eyes darted between his dad and grandparents. Pop said, "We did what we could to support you financially. At first, we pushed Andrew to move to New York. He pursued a few opportunities, but none were right. So we helped him travel back and forth. We wanted you to know you were a Gillespie."

Andrew nodded. "I'll keep telling you. Your mom and I were always in complete agreement about keeping you."

Ian nodded, as he looked at Brooke. She was pouting at her mother. It was just as well because she would have picked up on the keeping part and asked a million questions.

David looked at his wife. "What's wrong?"

"She wants to hang out with Ian and Ainsley today."

"No." All heads turned to Ainsley. "Sorry. It's not a good day."

Rose asked her if she was feeling okay. Ian felt the anxiousness spread. "She was sick and hasn't fully recovered."

Ainsley's cheeks tinted as the attention turned to her. "It's my job. There is a lot of pressure right now."