34 - Henry

If Ian had a choice, he wouldn't have had his sister for the weekend. It seemed like from Monday to Friday he never saw Ainsley. She worked too much, and he still hadn't told her about Henry. He should have said something when Brooke mentioned him, but not in front of his sister and cousin.

When Henry showed up for lunch on Monday, Ian glared at him. "Thanks for nothing."

"What did I do?"

"You ruined Brooke's charade."

"You mean your lie. What's the big deal? Didn't your famous mother teach you that lying is wrong?"

"My mother is not famous." My father is.

"She is when it matters. You got your job because of her, right?"

"I have the experience and education."

"So that's a yes. Seriously, what's the big deal? Unless you don't trust yourself with hot Val."

"I trust myself. I just don't trust her."

"You aren't married."

"No." But he was committed to Ainsley. "Monogamy isn't just for marriage. You should try it. Too bad you're too young for Val."

Henry was too young and immature. Ainsley would win based on maturity alone. He ran his hand through his hair. She texted she had to work late.

Instead of staying home alone, he went to the gym. He was working himself up to more difficult climbs. Each time he gained more confidence in his knee. He did a double take when he saw Henry; he must not feel the need to put in extra hours.

Val was hanging around when he finished. "Looking good."

"Thanks. I have to get going."

"Wait, a minute. Is she your daughter?"

"No, she likes to pretend."

"That's cute. So you aren't married are you?"

"No, but I'm in a relationship."

She frowned. "Is it serious?"

That was a complicated answer. It was more serious than either wanted to acknowledge. "Yeah, it is."

"Lucky girl."

He shook his head. "I'm the lucky one. I should go."

"You know it could have been me."

He should have been shocked, but just nodded.

"Maybe we can climb together, as friends."

He shrugged. "Maybe." But unlikely.

On his way home, he had a text from Ainsley. She was home, but going to sleep. Reluctantly, he played by the rules and went to sleep in his own bed.

The next morning the security team arrived. He knew the head of the company because she went to MIT. It was one of her employees he hadn't met him before, but a sixth sense said he might like Rhys or Terry or both, except he had a wedding ring on. Ian felt foolish for his inappropriate thoughts. He wouldn't want someone to assume he liked Val just because they were both heterosexual. His gut told him it was going to be an awful week, but hoped their security was locked down, because that was a headache he didn't need. He mentioned his concerns to Ellen.

She put her hand on his back. "The audit is like a mammogram, every time I go, I'm convinced they'll find cancer, but as soon as I get the results I announce I knew I was fine. We play head games with ourselves."

He had too many head games going on. No more chickening out he had to talk to Ainsley. He texted her asking to meet for lunch nearby, but she replied she was too busy.