30 - Dad

Ian asked Ainsley to stay to support her, but he selfishly knew her warm body would help him sleep. He wished Henry would move across the country, to solve all his problems.

His pain breezed in at lunchtime the next day. "So I got some big news yesterday. My boss is pregnant and I'm going to fill in during her maternity leave."

"Really?" The pregnant part he knew, but according to Ainsley no decision was made for her coverage. Ainsley expected to be in the running.

With Henry and Ainsley competing for the same job, his loyalty was to Ainsley, but she didn't want anyone to know she was dating a director.

"Just like that without an interview?" He watched Henry shift in his seat.

"Well, it'll be a formality. I'm the most qualified. I worked at HMH."

Ian wanted to set him straight. "I know. Um, I know you want this but wait until it's official before you plan a party." He wimped out.

Ainsley wanted to stay private. He should tell Ainsley that he climbed with Henry.

"You were right. I was nicer to her yesterday. She's starting to like me."

"Not if you take her promotion." Not a chance.

"That could be a problem." Henry thought for a moment. "But look at me."

"What is it about her you like?"

"She's a sexy package."

Ian groaned in his head. He had thought the same before he knew her. Guys could be guys unless they sexualize a woman he cared for. In Henry's case, it was his sister and Ainsley. Ian would defend either.

"You need to respect women better. HR is clamping down."

"You are old. Your chick is probably frumpy. Seriously, test drive that Val chick."

"Women aren't chicks."

"Val's a broad. A steaming hot one."

Ian pointed to the door. "Go. I have work to do. Do me a favor? If I take my cousin climbing. Stay away from us."

"Yeah, yeah. Have fun with the kid."

Once Henry was gone, he texted his uncle to make plans. David's response was he would call him later. He rubbed his temple as he thought of telling Ainsley about Henry.

Ainsley stirred the chicken and vegetables on the stovetop. "Pass me the soy sauce."

Ian rehearsed his words, but they sounded wrong. He picked up the sauce bottle at her request. It slipped through his fingers and thumped on the counter.

"Are you okay?"

"Butter fingers." Jitters. "Um. How was your day?"

"Calm. The jerk was fine."

"The jerk, huh?"

"Yeah, but can we have a nice night and not talk about him? I'm hoping he'll stop being a jerk, but I've decided to ignore him and do my job better than anyone."

"Has he stopped?" Ian didn't think so.

"Amazingly. Now, please. I had trouble falling asleep, so I have to let it go or I'll be irritable."

Ian threw up his hands. He could try harder, but it would upset Ainsley. How could he deny her a good night's sleep?

"The rice is ready."

He took two plates down so they could dish out the stir-fry. She carried two water glasses. After he placed the plates on the table, he sat down. She took the first bite while Ian watched.