37 - Distraction

Ainsley couldn't stay home all weekend. Her biggest fear was Ian knocking and her answering. He stayed away, but she had thirty unread text messages. She sent a message on the dating app to another guy who had potential. Out of desperation, she contacted Xander, the momma's boy. She offered to buy him a drink as a friend. If his mother let him out. Surprisingly, he agreed.

They met at her favorite bar. Thankfully, Katie was off. She didn't want to explain how the perfect guy wasn't perfect.

Xander arrived looking nice in jeans and a sweater. He kissed her cheek. "I'm glad you reached out."

"You are?"

He was very handsome when he smiled, but his brown eyes weren't green and didn't sparkle with mischief.

"I didn't like what you said at first, but after time and a conversation with my close friend, I realized you were right. So thank you."

"I didn't expect a thank you."

"You deserve it." The server came by for their order. "Do you want an appetizer?"

Her dates rarely included food. She smiled. "You decide."

"The balsamic grilled Brussels sprouts or..."

"Yeah. The Brussels sprouts." Ian hated them. She smiled at the server. "And a house red."

Xander asked for a red too. He studied her. "You look..."

"Like crap?"

He shook his head. "Tired."

"Disclaimer. I'm on the rebound. By that, I mean I just smashed into the ground and haven't bounced at all. I told you I just needed a friend."

"I'm guessing you have better friends than a guy you had one drink with."

She scrunched her mouth to one side. "They're too close to the fallout."

"Do you want to talk about it? The good news is thanks to you I moved out of my mother's house, so if you want to make out, I'll take one for the team."

She laughed. Maybe she should have kept him and skipped the pain. "Talk about it? No. He lied to me. Kept a secret from me."

"A wife and two kids?"

"What? No." She smiled. "You are funny. I missed that before. He's friends with the enemy."

"Sounds ominous."

"My nemesis at work. A grade A jerk who is trying to ruin my career. I'm up for a promotion and if I don't get it, I'll move to Alaska."

"Alaska, huh? You could do something less severe, like I don't know... Date me."

Their server set the Brussels sprouts on the table. The scent made her mouth water. She hadn't eaten more than a few bites since her life imploded. "Dating? Not a good idea. Rebound, remember?"

"Give it some time. The offer still stands to make out. For the record, I didn't give you my all when you kissed me. I was a little pissed at your honesty."

"Just a little? I like you. I wish I knew a nice girl for you." Not Olivia for obvious reasons, not just New York.

"So not you because you'll be in Alaska."

"Exactly, unless I get the promotion. Then we can celebrate." It was a true promotion. Catrina told her the person she chose would have the permanent title of senior promotions specialist with a modest raise.

"When will you hear?"

"It could be awhile. Tell me about your mother's reaction to your moving out."

Although her baseline was a sad hum inside, she laughed. She kept blocking it out, but when their conversation stopped for bites, she could hear the humming. She asked for a second glass hoping to shut out the sound. It was like when a refrigerator kicked on in a completely silent house.