Caught in the Rain

Haven't read Gallagher Girls? Please do not continue if you wish to avoid spoilers.

As always, please don't hesitate to reach out. Comments, feedback and any interaction are appreciated and loved!

Macey McHenry POV / Timeline: Sometime after the last GG book, "United We Spy", a universe where Zach and Cammie didn't end up together, Macey and Cammie share an apartment and Cammie is at Georgetown still.

A request for Macey McHenry x Cammie Morgan (romantic pairing)

Oct. 10th | Caught in the Rain

Cameron Morgan may be the The Chameleon to others, but Macey McHenry was fairly certain she would always be able to find her.

She was like a magnet she was being drawn to, a frequency pulsing through the air that only she could hear, an invisible string tying her heart to hers.

She turned around the corner, a frazzled curly haired boy almost knocking the coffee out of her hand as he shoved past her.

She took a deep breath, reminding herself he was probably late for class and that's why he couldn't even bother to say excuse me or sorry.

She glanced around the benches, tables, and trees of the school quad, a sea of stressed out college kids surrounding her, and she knew Cam would be in full Chameleon mode. The midterm week studying crowd threw off her plan slightly, not anticipating having to find her in such a crowd and do this in front of so many people. She turned slowly and then a smile twitched on her lips.

Cammie had three open textbooks around her, leaning up against a tree and her hair wrapped up around a pencil in her hair.

She reached forward and highlighted something, her tongue sticking out slightly, her brow furrowed, completely and totally immersed in her studies.

Macey took a deep breath again, but this time to calm her own nerves. She was so beautiful, and so serious and passionate and kind and her best friend. What if this didn't go as planned? Would she lose her completely?

She rolled her shoulders back, it would be okay. Cam was not the kind of person to leave her for putting herself out there and no matter what, they'd get through this together.

Her confidence back, she started across the lawn, the dull golden leaves crunching under her combat boots.

Cammie looked around her, her senses telling her someone was watching and then she spotted her and a small smile slowly spread across her face.

Macey beamed and sat across from the open textbook and handed one of the drinks over and Cammie held her hand to her chest, "For me? Why whatever for?"

Macey took a deep breath and then looked down, "Uh...well. I wanted to talk to..." She looked up and Cammie took a sip of the coffee and looked down at it, a puzzled look on her face and Macey frowned, "What? Is it not right? I told the guy like twelve times the exact amount of-"

Cammie waved her hand, "No, no it's great. Just..." She looked down at the cup and then back at her, pulling the pencil from her hair, it falling down in slight waves around her face, "You wanted to talk to me? About?"

Macey could feel her brain malfunctioning. All she could think about was the small smattering of freckles across Cam's nose. The way the sunlight was highlighting her eyes. How soft her hair looked and the need to run her fingers through it. The little smudge of pink highlighter on her cupid's bow from where she probably tapped it while thinking.

"Mace?"

She blinked and cleared her throat, "Right. So. Cammie I think I'm..." Cammie waited and Macey started over again, " Cammie, I think I'm in love."

Cammie blinked but her features remained the same, but she smiled a little, "Okay. And you wanted to bring me coffee and tell me that?"

Macey pinched the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes, "I...I wanted to tell you because I think...you are...Cammie, what I'm trying to say is..."

Oh my god why was this so hard? Who was the girl controlling her mouth right now?

Cammie groaned, "Shit!"

What?

She opened her eyes to see Cammie scrambling with her textbooks and notes, shoving them all in her backpack, highlighters without caps as rain started to fall.

Macey jumped up to help, "Oh!"

Suddenly it was pouring and the girls made a run for the closest sign of cover, a little wooden bench bus station.

They were soaking wet, and they fell into each other laughing.

Macey's heart started beating louder, grateful for the rain on the metal roof to hopefully cover the sound.

It felt like a scene in a movie, their laughter slowly fading, Macey realized her hand was on Cammie's waist and they were incredibly close. Cammie looked up at her, her eyes wide and she leaned in a little closer.

Was she leaning in to kiss her?

Cammie stopped, just before her lips, "Macey?"

She could smell the cinnamon on her breath from the few sips of her coffee she had, mixing with the rain on their skin and the damp leaves and her stomach was filled with knots.

It took everything in her to let out a weak, "Yeah?"

Cammie gulped, "Who are you in love with?"

She could tell she was nervous, but she wasn't moving away, in fact, her hand was now on her waist too.

Macey smiled and then whispered, "You're the spy. You tell me."

Their lips gently pushed against the others, her hands wrapping around Cammie's back.

Cammie's wrapped around her neck, the pair getting utterly lost in each other. Macey smiled against her lips and Cammie smiled too, their kissing turning to laughter again.

Macey kissed her nose and Cammie grinned.

She wanted to remember this moment forever.