Chapter 20: The Rout

The group gathers and prepare to return to the frontlines' main unit, but before that there is something to be done.

They had no mounts unlike their reinforcements who came riding, and a group could only move as fast as their slowest.

On this battlefield, their unit had suddenly and strangely become the only one that could do as they pleased. They turned and went towards the great mountain ridge on the east, away from the other soldiers. It is a series of highly elevated grounds that forms a natural barrier to the Endless Plains, the Blood Fields, the Eastern Shores, Pirate Seas, and the mysterious far east reaches.

Led by Kairos, they only stopped when they neared the base of a great cliff at an obscure location. He sent someone forward to knock on the hard sedimentary rock.

When the person rapped her knuckles on the hard surface, a loud gnawing sound rumbled behind the red cliff boulders in response and she frightfully stepped back. It was just in time as the solid stone shattered into pebbles and dust with a terrible crash.

A cave was revealed behind and filled with glinting yellow and red eyes.

"It's time to go," Kairos said, and from the tunnel creatures big and small swarmed out.

Storm Leopards, Molten Raptors, War Bulls, Wind Scythe Tigers, Shira Sabre Hounds, Flood Serpents, Battle Mantis, and many more.

Trailing behind the assorted beasts three Hundred Dragon Horses trotted out proudly and each stopped beside a member of the Snowdrifts, the officers of the group.

These mounts had created their own hierarchy with the importance of their rider determining their rank.

There are a thousand eight hundred steeds that joined them. With the two hundred beasts they took from the barbarians with the Hydra Array and the five hundred whose riders had died in the battle, there is now seven hundred in excess.

Even with the expanded size of the Crystal Valve, it will not fit half of these many creatures. Fortunately, the beasts can be commanded to follow or even sent to attack their foes if the instructions were not too complicated.

The Astroire Army is finally fully geared and ready.

Looking at the scattering Frosthral army and the Saint Empire soldiers in pursuit, a scowl set on Kairos' face.

"Let's discuss our next step."

The leaders gathered and Snow started the ball rolling.

"From the information gathered, it is impossible to starve the Ku Kang Camp even if we allowed the two hundred thousand barbarians to join them. The mountain they are situated on provides a natural source of food that could sustain well over three million."

"That's a large mountain," Tommy interjected. He now towers over everyone in the group. Imposing yet calm like a sky-piercing mountain.

The boy had always been a size larger than his friends, and with the inhuman training to acquire the Dharma Constitution, he has become pretty much a solid wall of muscle.

Fortunately, practicing the Origin Cultivation Method has refined his look to be more like a beautifully crafted giant sword instead of a gnarled wooden club.

His chiselled good-looks made his appearance similar to one of those sculped statue that depicts ancient heroes found in keeps and castles.

It wasn't strange that whenever Snow looked at him, even for a short glance, she couldn't help but blush. Of course, the girl didn't look bad herself, though recent years she had been hiding her beauty with sensible clothes made for practicability and action.