Chapter 71: I am a Great General

No one expected a portal to open when the spell failed.

When magic rebounds, the energy that was gathered had to be released and it usually turns destructive. This time, the mana was collected by the three Grand Mages – spellcasters of the highest class.

When the magic was broken, the entire catacomb should've exploded.

Yet, at that time, a peculiar thing happened.

The energy that repelled the soul-searching spell was tremendous; the latter was mere candle flame compared to it.

The wild magic was a million, million times more than the spell's energy, and when too much power is gathered at one spot, instead of the world blowing up, reality became fractured.

The unravelled spell gathered to one point in a vortex and drilling a hole in time and space. Without destroying the physical realm, it found a way to be released: a portal to another realm.

Kairos who is at the centre of the vortex was immediately sucked in. He felt as though he was falling from great heights. A shining jewel he hung around his neck cracked and he desperately clung onto it, trying to shelter the gem from the dangerous transference magic.

.....

The soldiers on the Ku Kang plateau looked at the death and destruction all around them and turned incredibly silent.

The battle is over, finally. The winners are undoubtedly the collation of the Saint Empire frontline army and the Snowdrifts army.

The Frosthral barbarians still outnumber their foes, but with all three emperors dead, their morale had pummelled and no one can take up the helm.

Having been spared of being poisoned to death by the enemy Supreme Commander's intervention, they had all lost the fight in their heart.

Of course, to not force them into desperation and incite a final battle to the death, the victors must allow them a path of retreat.

In fact, some of them felt gratitude towards Kairos for that Grand Magic which preserved them.

They are barbarians, savages that are described as brutal and cold-blooded, but they are also warriors with a deep-rooted sense of honour.

It was then that Tommy stepped forward.

He faced the masses of Frosthral warriors and in a deep intoning voice declared, "WARRIORS! I am Tommy Styrkur of Avalon, descendent of Shakyamuni! I invoke the promotion trial and challenge all who dare step forward!"

.....

Within an old castle, a group of old shamans are hexing before their Jarl.

The spell they are weaving is an ancient lost magic. Before today, none of them had studied it. However, it wasn't lost because it had been obscured by time and forgotten.

Each time their world is threatened, a certain manuscript will surface, holding a spell that will summon heroes to their land and after the magic is completed it will remove most traces, leaving behind only legends.

The time has come once again that Axis Mundi needs its heroes.

A great deal of smoke covered the hall and the Aura Knights moved into position to protect the Jarl.

When the air cleared, five pairs of boys and girls had appeared in the hall. They were visibly confused and asking questions, but their languages were all different. Suddenly, from above, a portal opened and a sixth pair fell from the ceiling.

The shamans were surprised. They had not known that there will be twelve, but this is the first time they had their hands on this magic and they might've erred somewhere along the way.