Chapter 56: To kill an Emperor (Part 1)

Soldiers retreated quickly like an ebbing wave bringing the fight towards an underground building. The Snowdrifts and the Frontline troopers led by Esley fought tooth and nail to stop them in attempt to weaken the enemy as much as possible.

Their bunker is made of thick slabs of metal and covered with a glutinous gel that prevents elemental damages. There are expensive self-repairing talismans that covered every inch of the construction, making it a nightmare to destroy, and there are reserves of ores to keep them activated for years, enough time to starve off any intruders.

It's no secret that in this structure, food is grown at the basements, mainly mushrooms but there are also worms and other unsavoury food sources that did not need the light of day to grow. The grub might be nothing to write home about, but at least keeping a million soldiers alive wouldn't be a problem. Not only that, but cultivators can also draw water from the ambient Heavenly Energies. With so many powerful practitioners in one place, even farming will not be an issue.

Once they successfully retreated, the million strong Ku Kang soldiers will regain their advantage as though the infiltration never happened before. As long as they keep huddled up, the Saint Empire forces will quickly face a logistic nightmare. Pinned down by snow for miles on end and reinforcements from the Frosthral Feudal State disrupting their supply chain, whatever ration the Saint Empire army brought with them in their Time-space rings wouldn't last them till victory.

Furthermore, the enemy outnumber them two to one. Once the Saint Empire soldiers lose momentum on the defences and fighting spirit dampened by the weather, the tides of battle will turn once more.

Yet, trying to stop so many from retreating is like trying to hold back a river using cups.

Everyone knows that the only path to victory will be to kill the White Emperor.

At this moment, Reynold Lambert Siegmund, supreme commander of the Ku Kang Camp and the absolute authority in this place is running.

Surrounded by his trusted men, they had been pushing towards the safety of their bunker. The White Emperor's fury had reached its peak. This entire battle had been a flop and they had been forced into this corner in mere days. It is a disgrace on his records, and history will no doubt laugh at his failure.

However, if he gets to the bunker, then victory will still be theirs. It is laughable that the enemy sent a group of teens to try and stop his way, thinking that he would stop to fight for his honour.

Even if it is insulting to be fleeing from children, it will only be worse if he let himself tarry and lose the whole camp.

They were naïve to think he could be goaded. Reynold smirked and then did what he believe is the opposite of the enemy wants, "Sound the alarm, Code Yellow! Let the soldiers buy us some time."

With their camp overran with enemies, it will be bad if it wasn't just teens that are chasing him, but the likes of Great Generals Diao Ling, or the enemy Supreme Commander, Esley Restrio himself.

Granted, he had the confidence to face all of them together without being defeated, but getting to the bunker afterwards will become impossible.

A bright yellow flare shot up into the skies and exploded into a resounding blast, the Frosthral's warning signal. Depending on the situation, when activated patrols are to search for intruders while prioritising safety or in a war soldiers are to engage with caution and restrain enemy movements.

Reynold and his guards were at the commander tent near the destroyed sleeping quarters when they found the intruders. After failing to kill Sihala, the White Emperor were attacked almost immediately by assassins.