104: Head

Your head will be coming off back. Herobrine's words rang through Sloth's head. He takes a few steps back, huffing.

Ian glanced at Sloth, concerned. "S-Sloth... are you alright?!"

"Of course!" Sloth shouted in response.

"Sloth..." Ian can tell that he wasn't alright. The Sin looks like he'll collapse at any moment. "Please, let me protect you."

"I've told you to stay back, Diligence." Sloth hissed. "I'll handle him!"

"How are you going to fight without any of your smoke?!"

"I can generate mor—"

Quentin's Artifact shot out, bringing both Sloth's and Ian's attention back onto Herobrine. Their eyes widened as Herobrine was making his way towards them.

Sloth cursed out loud as he grabbed Ian's arm, pulling him into a run. "I need time to generate my smoke!"

"W-what are they doing?" Quentin watches both Ian and Sloth run with Herobrine chasing after them. He quickly started running as well, holding tight onto his Artifact. "If they run too far, I don't think I'll be able to shoot them...!"

"Jason..." Envy's voice was hoarse. "Enough..."

Jason reluctantly pulls back with guilt written all over his face. "Acheron... I... I'm sorry... I can't heal everything..."

By now, the majority of Envy's wounds had healed but Jason couldn't fully heal his vocal cords or regrow an arm.

"More importantly look..." Envy raises a hand to point in the direction of Sloth and Ian. "Father... he's chasing them..."

Jason's eyes widened and he quickly stood up. "W-we have to go help them!" He can see Quentin and Sky going after them as well.

Ian glances behind him, seeing Herobrine was catching up pretty quickly. Sloth's movements were getting sloppier, slowing down quite a bit.

"Diligence... go... go on without me... I'm his target right now..." Sloth said between breaths. "It's ok... I'll... The smoke... is almost ready..."

"No way!" Ian yelled out as he took charge, now being the one pulling Sloth forward.

At this rate, Herobrine will be able to catch up to the two of them in no time. Ian touches the cold silver plate of Aegis, his Artifact. I've got to do something...!

"I can't... keep running anymore..." Sloth mumbled. "Let go..."

Ian's grip on the Sin's arm only tightened. "We're getting out of here alive, you, me, and everyone else!"

"You're thinking optimistically, aren't you?"

Ian's eyes widened as he heard Herobrine's voice right behind him. He pushes Sloth ahead of him and whirls around to face Herobrine. He raises his arms, as the blade hits the armor covering his forearms.

The blade couldn't go through Aegis but Herobrine's strength sent Ian flying back to the side, hitting the ground a few times before coming to a stop.

"Diligence!" Sloth shouted out.

"Pay attention, Acedia."

Sloth's eyes widened as Herobrine was in front of him. The blade was coming diagonally. He held up his hands as blue smoke quickly rushed in front of him, serving as a shield. Using it as an extension, Sloth tries to hold out on the attack. His shoes pressed into the dirt as he gritted his teeth.

It was obvious it wouldn't hold. The smoke wasn't ready. No, even if it was, it most likely wouldn't withstand Herobrine's full-on strike.

Quentin took aim, firing another beam towards Herobrine. Herobrine pushes further, causing Sloth's shoes to slide across the dirt. The Sin struggled to keep a firm footing. Because of this, the beam only went through Herobrine's left shoulder.

It didn't seem to slow him down, fully intent on killing Sloth here and now.

Sloth can already visualize what will happen.

He can see the other Virtues and Envy behind Herobrine, shouting. Ian was shouting too, scrambling onto his feet and running towards him.

Sloth mustered the rest of his energy and yelled as loud as he could. "Virtues, you have to win! Whatever it takes, just win! Just–" His words cut off abruptly as Herobrine's sword broke through the smoke shield, dispersing it.

His expression was frozen as he took a moment longer to register that the blade had cut clean through his neck. Herobrine had stayed true to his words.

His head flew through the air with blood trailing behind it. The world has flipped upside down and Sloth can see Ian with a horrified look on his face. Behind Ian, there was a woman there with long brown hair. She seems to have a somber expression on her face.

"Val... arie..." As Sloth breathed the name of the past Diligence, his world faded into darkness. His decapitated head drops onto the ground as his body went down to his knees before collapsing.

Everyone was frozen, equally shocked, and horrified at what just happened.

There was a moment of silence until Herobrine flicked the blood off his sword, splattering it onto the ground. "Now there's only one Sin left." He glances over to Envy who was trembling.

"Acedia..." Envy clenches his fists. "Damn it!" He started making his way toward Herobrine.

Jason took a few moments to realize Envy was heading forward. "A-Acheron w-what are you–"

"I understand... I understand Acedia..." Envy's voice was quieter than usual.

"Acheron...?"

"Don't come close to me, Jason... " Envy couldn't look at Jason. Black smoke emitted from the Sin's body as the ground around him starts to decay. "You Virtues... have to win."