60: Frostguard

The real Diligence would have never shown him where the Artifacts are. But this connects to his own memories.

"Which one do we find first?" Diligence asked Sloth.

"We're racing with time... we should go get the one closest."

"Hmm... Frostguard is the closest, with Shooting Star coming second." Diligence started walking and Sloth followed a safe distance behind her. "I'll lead you to Frostguard."

He's sure that he's walking in the Mirror Realm. If something were to happen outside, Sloth wouldn't be any help unless they pull him from the dream. Here, things are just as dangerous. His consciousness is linked to the body in thr Mirror Realm. If anything were to happen to either of them, Sloth would be in danger.

"What's up with you? You're quiet..." Sloth heard Diligence's concerned voice rang out. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Sloth mumbled.

The two continued on with silence slowly enveloping them.

Sloth remembered Diligence. How he met her. It was purely an accident as back then, Invidia's portals were unstable. She appeared in front of him that day...

"... Do you think reincarnations will be able to keep their memories of their past lives?" Sloth asked.

"Pft...." Diligence laughed out. "Where did that come from?"

"I'm just wondering what you think."

"Hmm..." Diligence looked up, looking deep in thought. Her tone softened as she smiled. "I believe all reincarnations have their past memories, we didn't just forget."

"Do you think your future lives would remember?"

"Maybe if you talk to my future reincarnation." Diligence answered. "But, what about you? How about your future selves?"

"What about them?"

"Would they remember anything from before?" Diligence asked. "Although...." She paused. "Remembering everything before would be sad if no one else remembers."

"Yeah..." Sloth muttered. "It would be..."

They remained in silence, only speaking when a topic was raised. It was pleasant though, Sloth caught himself enjoying the conversations.

It was like this before... He thought. Sloth wished that this would last forever. He wouldn't mind being here and talking to Diligence until he dies.

"We're here!" Diligence announced. "This is where Lightbringer is. Too bad Chastity isn't here... he would be able to use it for us."

Sloth sat down on the grass. Since he had to wait for Jerome to obtain the Artifact, he can spend more time with Diligence.

~

The group had been following Sloth for a long time now when he stopped abruptly in the middle of an empty field. They watched as the Sin sat down, still seemingly asleep.

"This... this is the place?" Jerome looked around, scowling. "I don't see anything here."

Envy reached out and formed a ripple near where Sloth is sitting. "If this is the right place, this should take you guys to an Artifact."

"How do we know which Artifact it is?" Quentin asked, frowning. "We can't exactly bring Sloth in with us."

"I recognized the place where my Artifact was." Jason said. "Maybe it would be the same."

"It could be..." Envy muttered. "Take turns going in."

"Guess... I'll go in first?" Ian said, skeptically. He stepped inside and came out shortly, shaking his head.

Quentin went in next but came back with nothing.

When it was Jerome's turn, he entered and came out with an excited look on his face. "Jason was right... I... I really do recognize the place." He exclaimed loudly.

"I'll come with you, Jerome." Seto said as he walked towards the ripple. "You guys stay here and keep an eye on Sloth."

Jerome and Seto went through the ripple. "What is this place...?" Seto stared in awe as it was nothing he could have imagined. They were standing on a small field, filled with white tulips. They were surrounded by water. Lotuses and lilypads filled the clear water.

The atmosphere had a peaceful humming that was pleasant to Seto's ears.

"I don't know how but... Recognize this place... No.. I know this place." Jerome looked around. "I have seen this place before...." He slowly stepped out towards one of the lily pads. To Seto's surprise, he didn't sink.

"The lily pads were used as a route." Jerome said as he moved from one lily pad to another. Seto quickly followed behind him. As Jerome passes, the lotuses near him seem to glow white.

In a distance, Jerome is able to make out a figure on a small field. As they got closer, they realized that she was humming. She glanced towards their direction and the two froze. The girl had short brown hair and bright brown eyes which grew wide as he saw Jerome and Seto.

"You're here!" She grinned widely. "We've been waiting."

"Wh... who are you?" Jerome asked.

"I'm you, of course!" She said, laughing softly. "We're all waiting here for you to get your Artifact."

"We....?" Seto questioned.

The girl motioned behind here where a couple people materialized. They looked similar to her and Jerome, all donning similar features.

"Jerome... these were your past lives..." Seto said in realization.

The girl suddenly grabbed Jerome's hand, holding it firmly. "I don't have much time.." She said. "I'll help you activate your Artifact."

"H-hold on... How do I activate it?" Jerome asked. "I don't know how to do it."

"Frostguard." Jerome heard her muttered. A burst of orange light came from Jerome's hand. His eyes widened as he saw something appearing before his eyes.

The girl disappeared and all that is left is the Artifact in his hand. It was an axe with a blue and white blade. It was engraved in glowing oranges symbols on the blade and on its handle. It emitted a light glow and cool air which Jerome can feel.

"Th... this... is my Artifact?" Jerome asked, slowly. He took a light swing, surprised at how light it was. It felt like it was meant for him. Seto can see particles of ice forming around the axe as Jerome swung.

"Frostguard." Jerome muttered and the Artifact disappeared from his hand. "Let's hurry back and tell them the good news."

With two Artifacts in their hands, Seto felt more at ease. He nodded and the two heads back towards the ripple.