ONE, preparing for a ceremony

The first thing Y/n woke up to was the comforts of her own bed, the covers blanketing over her, her body being overwhelmed by warmth and comfort. Confusion was quick to be well written across her features as she slowly sat up. Her arms gently hugging the covers to herself as she inspected everything around her.

"How odd," she murmured. Her eyes glancing around as if to find some sort of clue lying within her bedroom, "I fell asleep on the floor in the other room, and I don't sleepwalk either so I wonder how I got here..."

Y/n thought for a moment. Her eyes seemingly becoming lost as she searched for a viable answer, "did the Tsaritsa come back to check on me and then have someone carry me to my room?"

She posed a question to herself as it seemed like the most appropriate answer to the problem she was having. If that were to be the case, then y/n thought it best to thank the Tsaritsa and to whom ever had carried her to bed that night. I mean, to be such a menial task as such as that. She must apologize as well then. To force someone to carry her and everything.

Pulling the covers away, she briefly noticed how her blood still stained her clothing. A heavy sigh flitted from her lips as she tried not to think of the horrible coughing fits that had plagued her the day before. Her illness caused by her continual use of her ability has never racked through her body that badly before.

Maybe it means that I'm...

She shook her head lightly, perishing the thought quickly before it could fester and take root within her mind.

Today is a ceremony celebrating the graduation of a new squadron of Fatui. I mustn't think or feel pity for myself. That would be .. to pathetic. Today is a day meant for celebration in the ranks of the Fatui.

Getting out of bed, her feet lightly padded across the cool marble floor. Her hands reaching for the doors of her closet. Turning the knob, a loud cream echoed into the vast room. She didn't have much formal wear or even much clothes to wear outside either, mainly because she only ever frequented the palace, and the Tsaritsa wanted her to be comfortable within such a place, so she was allowed to wear whatever she wanted. But this was a ceremony, and she would be standing by the Tsaritsa's side no less! So wearing something nice and constricting shouldn't be the end of the world.

"Miss Y/n?"

A maid's voice spoke behind her door. A gentle knocking sounding soon after. Y/n was quick to recognize the maid immediately.

"Come in, Charlie!"

Her actual name was Charlotte, but since the two had become fast friends, they had given nicknames to one another. Though, of course, despite being friends, their work came first.

The door opened and Charlie quickly hustled in with a brush in hand and an award-winning smile seemingly to always decorate her pretty face which always seemed to compliment her gorgeous figure. Y/n always wondered why she had become a maid. But apparently she needed the job. Y/n never bothered to ask why the job was so important though.

"Time to get ready!"

"You sound so excited, Charlie. Did something good happen to you?"

Charlie held a mischievous little grin as she went over to Y/n who was by her closet still, "no, no. I'm actually interested in what's happening to you."

Y/n gained a questioning gaze, even giving Charlie a peculiar look while tilting her head to the side, "pardon?"

Charlie lightly smacked y/n's shoulder in a playful manner, her giggles echoing into the room a little, "oh, you know."

Laughing a little, y/n started to feel embarrassed for not knowing the apparent detail that Charlie was insinuating, "trust me, I don't."

Charlie, finally looking at her friend, could tell she really meant it, "you really don't know?"

Y/n nodded, a little fearful for what Charlie was about to say. Did I sleepwalk and do something funny after all?

"The Jester and you! You know, what happened last night and all!"

Huh?

"S- sorry, but what? I'm afraid I don't understand.."

The Jester. Also known as Pierro. The first of the Tsaritsa's Fatui Harbingers. He was an intimidating figure. Strong. Composed. And heavily loyal to the Tsaritsa. Why on earth was Charlie mentioning him?!

Y/n thought back for a moment. Was he in the room when the Tsaritsa visited me last night? If he was, I surely didn't notice him...

"Oh wow, you truly don't know," Charlie said with a giggle, "and here i thought you two were actually close for a moment."

Whining a little, Y/n tugged at Charlie's sleeve as the maid twirled about in a girlish manner, "please tell me already. Your making me sick with worry."

"Alright, alright! But first sit down so I can do your hair. I'll tell you while I get you ready."

Despite her tired state and weak body, Y/n was already anticipating what Charlie would say as she hurried over to the chair sitting at her dresser. Her reflection staring back at her when she looked at the mirror that was attacked to the well crafted dresser.

"Alright so," Charlie started, her fingers lightly sifting through Y/n's hair, "last night I saw the Jester enter the special room that the Doctor had made for you. At first I was thinking he was going to talk to you about tomorrow's ceremony, you know? Like how you should present yourself and how you should act since you'll be standing by the Tsaritsa's side and all. But to my surprise when he came out of the room, he was actually carrying you in his arms! Then, then, get this, when he took you to your room he even made sure to tuck you in and everything. But, of course, I shouldn't be surprised since I see the way he looks at you when you two are in the same room-"

"Charlie, Charlie! Slow down will you," Y/n lightly urged. All the information overloading her for a moment as she tried to process everything that her friend was saying. Finally managing to gather her thoughts, she made eye contact with Charlie as she gave her a brief smile, "for one thing, Charlie. I highly doubt he looks at me the way that you are insinuating from across the room, and secondly... the Tsaritsa had met me as you so mentioned. And she, during our conversation last night, must have noticed how weak I was and probably asked Pierro to escort me to my room. However, he must have found me asleep and decided to carry me instead. So trust me, he was most likely just doing as the Tsaritsa jad ordered him to do. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Oh, Y/n. You're so oblivious sometimes," Charlie said while pouting, her hands easily fixing up
Y/n's hair in a matter of moments.

"And you, my dear friend, like to daydream too much."

"Well, fine. Be that way, ill just continue to dream then," Charlie said smartly as she went to y/n's closet. Her hands sifting through the few dresses she had, "as for you, well, maybe dreaming a little would be good for you too."

Y/n saddened a little as she gazed at her reflection in the mirror.

I do dream, though. More often than I should.

But ... what use is a shield who dreams?

A shield should only ever protect.