TWO, an escort

"Annnd, all ready!"

Charlie admired her work, her eyes glancing Y/n up and down before clapping her hands together, "now you can go show off to the Jester!"

Y/n nervously laughed, "I thought i said he was just doing as the Tsaritsa ordered..."

Charlie waved her hand in a dismissive manner. Her nose turning up to show her arrogance and all-knowing-ness. Honestly, Y/n thought, what am I to do with her?

"Alright, alright! You should get going and stop hanging around here!"

"But weren't you the one wanting to gossip in the first place?"

"Oh, shush it, y/n!"

Gently pushing her to the door, Charlie made sure to look over y/n one last. As the shield of Snezhnaya, Charlie knew that the woman before her had to demonstrate some sort of strength and fearlessness in the ceremony today. But she knew what Y/n was truly like...

She was sickly. Her death approaching faster and faster as the years dwindle down to nothing. And while others look at her from a distance, they probably think she is this force unyielding force. Strong. Without imperfections. A true hero to be admired.

Charlie thought the same when she first started working as Y/n's personal maid. But as time went on, she realized just how fragile Y/n really was. A simple push could make the woman before her come crashing to the ground.

But .. a few things from all the rumors remained true about the shield of Snezhnaya.

She truly was unyielding when it came to protecting everyone. She was strong too. Never once giving up in protecting everything she holds dear.

"Charlie?"

They were outside of Y/n's room now, the maid seeming to be caught in how lost in thought she was.

"Oh, sorry. Don't mind me! Just focus on staying upright for the ceremony alright? I know how weak you've been in this past week, so try not to overexert yourself. And I'm sure the Tsaritsa will dismiss you if you feel too exhausted, because I, for one, know that these ceremonies can last forever."

"Charlie," Y/n said lightly with a laugh in her voice, "you're rambling again."

"Oh, stop it, and just getting going already," Charlie said with a smile and lightly pushing her friend.

"Excuse me."

A commanding voice interrupted the two, an overwhelming sensation of fear inducing the both of them. A sort of hold wrapping around their throats.

"I would appreciate it greatly if you did not play around with Snezhnaya's shield so casually and got back to work."

Charlie, finally looking behind them, immediately bowed to the imposing figure, "y- yes! Right away! Please forgive-"

"Do not make this mistake again, and I'm not looking for words. I'm looking for you to get back to work as quickly and efficiently as possible."

Charlie bowed further before making a quick escape. Y/n, finally turning to see who it was, could only see the tall and imposing figure of the Jester. Pierro.

"Was there.. really a need to speak in such a way," Y/n asked a bit timidly. She'll admit that she was startled to see him. And to see him in front of her bedroom no less. Not to mention that she never had to speak with directly. The only time she would ever see him was when she was with the Tsaritsa.

The Jester didn't back down, however,  "you are the shield of Snezhnaya. You have more important matters to attend to instead of playing ... friends with a maid who may have ulterior motives."

"Pierro-"

She was about to retort, but instead she was silenced by him when he held out his arm to her.

"If that is all, I am here to escort you to the ceremony."

She bit the inside of her cheek, this man was being unreasonable. He had to be. Charlie had been her dearest friend ever since she started working here. She would never have unjust intentions or ulterior motives towards her. Everyone maid, butler, chef, worker in the palace has devoted their loyalty to the Tsaritsa.

"...the...the Tsaritsa is usually the one who comes to escort me though..."

She tried her best to find a way to get far from this man. But to no avail, he already had an answer for her.

"The Tsaritsa herself has asked me to escort you today. And I will be doing as she had ordered. You, of course, would have known of this last night if you did not fall asleep on the floor."

"But if that is the case, then why hasn't the Tsaritsa told me you would be escorting me when she had visited me prior?"

"Because she made the decision on a whim when she saw me in the hallway waiting for her. She told me to tell you of the change in plans, but you were already asleep by the time I got you the room. Now, if you're done with the interrogation," he said with a bit of warning in his voice, "I would appreciate it if we got there early."

Having no other escape, she reached for his arm that he held out to her. His hands lightly wrapping around them as she could feel his muscles beneath the clothing of his sleeve. Then, gently placing his free hand over her own he escorted her as a gentleman would... despite his overwhelming cold demeanor.

The Tsaritsa is by far warmer in greeting than him..., she thought timidly, but .. why should a shield ever care who escorts her?