EIGHT, side effect

"My dear Tsaritsa, I don't see the problem with me marrying her, really."

Pierro watched as Dottore, for the tenth time that day, tried to reason with the Tsaritsa.

"Dottore, no matter what you say, the Tsaritsa isn't going to agree," Pantalone said with a bemused expression. His fingers lightly lifting so he could push up his glasses a bit.

Dottore scoffed, "and Pierro is any better? Is he even trying to court her? Make her feel loved? No offense, but he isn't exactly husband material."

"And you are?"

"For y/n, I am."

Dottore turned towards Pierro then, "as for you. I understand that protecting the shield of Snezhnaya is your job now, but the Tsaritsa also told you that you had to love her and for these past six months you have done nothing of the sort."

Pierro suddenly caught interest in the conversation as he focused on Dottore, "six months?"

"Yes six months, how long do you think-," Dottore stopped himself when realization hit, "oh right, you don't know."

"Don't know what Dottore," Pierro said with a warning in his tone.

Dottore cleared his throat.

"There are a few side effects when using the enhacement room. One of the side effects is losing your sense of time. You see, it doesn't matter if you or y/n is using some weird ability, as long as you step inside the room you are immediately affected with this side effect."

"When was the ceremony?"

"Six months ago, of course. You can check your documents if you need to confirm, but reality will stay the same," Pantalone answered, "six months had come and gone. And you've spent all that time .. with y/n."

"I do my paperwork when need be, so why haven't I noticed this sooner?"

Dottore rubbed his chin in thought, "well, it's like I said, you lose your perception of time. It doesn't matter if you're looking at the date or not. So tell me Pierro, how long do you think you've known y/n and have been speaking with her?"

"Two weeks."

"Interesting."

Pierro ignored Dottore's fascinated expression and instead prodded for more answers, "why didn't you tell me of the room's side effects?"

Dottore shrugged, "I was getting around to it. Though, truth be told, I was still trying to see what other side effects the room holds, but you all keep putting distance between y/n and me, so my findings are slow to come by."

Pierro looked over to Pantalone, "then how did you know of the side effect?"

"Dottore asked me to walk into the room one day when y/n was in bed recovering. I noticed the change immediately, but only because I keep track of our mora and bank orders."

Pierro closed his eyes as he went over all of their interactions from the ceremony till now.

Truth be told, it still didn't feel like six months had passed.

But, he does suppose that there were times that he didn't get to see her because she would be sleeping or recovering.

He also thought of their nightly conversations. What he thought would only be a few times quickly turned into multiple. They also checked the out barrier plenty of times which he later learned that she didn't quite like the cold. At all.

He thought of all her mannerisms. How she would look away from him when she would grab onto his sleeve.

He thought of how she always tried to stand when he would see her lying on the cold marble floor in that damned room.

He also thought of how he promised to come speak with her tonight. Or did he already do that last night, or the night before?

He smirked lightly, that must be where the side effect kicks in and disables my perception of time.

"If you'll excuse me."

"And where are you going, Pierro," Columbina had asked.

"To talk with y/n as I usually do."

Columbina chuckled lightly at his words, "she certainly has you hooked, and it seems you already came to terms with this loss of time as well."

"You're wrong about that," Pierro had said as he came to the door, "since I've spent that time with y/n, I do not see it as a loss even though my perception of time was askew."

The Tsaritsa smiled when Pierro left. She was worried for nothing. Maybe y/n could have that happiness after all.