Chapter 66: The Fastest Way to a Wild Boar's Heart

The wild boar demon charged.

His hoofs raised sparks where they struck the rocks. When a shrub appeared before him, he trampled it. When a tree rose up before him, he barreled at it and snapped its trunk. When a boulder too large to shoulder out of the way blocked his path, he surged over it. It was like watching a landslide in reverse.

After a moment, Den realized that he was still dangling off the side of the tree by his six front claws, gawking after the boar. He unhooked them, kicked off the trunk to launch himself through the air, dropped down in the debris, and sprinted after the boar.

"Hey, wait up!"

The boar neither waited nor glanced back. "Yoooou're too sloooow."

"I'm – trying!" Den puffed.

Up ahead, the rock macaque who'd captured Floridiana was bounding from tree to tree, heading deeper into the Wilds. The mage's body bounced in a way that couldn't have been good for her injuries.

Please please please don't let her die, Den prayed. O Star who is our patron goddess, please don't let her die.

As his energy ran low, he fell further and further behind. The boar, however, was gaining on them. Then the rock macaque reached the edge of a cliff, turned around, and started climbing down it. The boar skidded to a halt, and Den finally caught up. Panting, he flung himself to the ground and stared over the edge of the cliff. It was pockmarked with deep holes. The rock macaque was lowering himself hand over hand and swinging from hole to hole.

"Theeeey're getting awaaaay!"

The boar was outraged. He stamped and pawed, and his hooves knocked rocks off the edge that clattered down and pelted demon and mage alike.

One stone struck Floridiana's shoulder with a crunch that made Den cringe. Her eyes flew open. Her mouth opened too, but no sound came out. She probably couldn't draw enough air to scream.

"Hang on!" Den yelled.

Here, the gorge narrowed and the Fog River sped up, throwing up an icy spray that wet the cliff face – and gave Den water to fly on.

He leaped off the cliff, streaking headfirst at the mage and the demon. Just before he reached them, he flipped midair, stuck out all twelve claws, and raked them across the rock macaque's back. They were barely long enough to get through the fur!

"Raaargh!" Den roared, struck again, and felt the tips of his claws scrape skin.

"Kyaaw! Kyaaw-kyaaw!" howled the rock macaque.

He raised his arm to swipe at Den – but it was the same shoulder that he'd slung Floridiana over. The mage started to slip. On instinct, she clutched at his fur to keep from falling. Then her face hardened. She squirmed off his shoulder and let herself drop.

Catch! she mouthed.

The rock macaque grabbed for her, but Den sank his teeth into his palm. The demon roared and flapped his arm, trying to dash Den into the cliff.

Den opened his jaws and shot after Floridiana, who was now plummeting towards the river. Just before she struck the rocks that pierced its surface, he sank his claws into her tunic and broke her fall. He braced himself against the water in the air, straining to lift her. Ugh! So heavy! Above the river they dangled, the mage's boots getting soaked by spray.

And that, of course, was when the swallow demons attacked. Dozens shot out of the grottos in the cliff and swarmed them, pecking and biting and beating at them with their wings.