Chapter 95: Reunion

In the days that followed, Honeysuckle Croft saw as many visitors as it did during the New Year. The very evening after my return, Mistress Jek invited Floridiana to dinner. The mage arrived practically exploding with questions about South Serica that her pride wouldn't permit her to ask.

I regaled her with tales anyway, just because I was so nice.

Then, the day after that, one of the schoolhouse rats overheard Taila and Nailus giggling about me at recess. They alerted Master Rattus, who scampered to the carpentry workshop to check if Master Gravitas knew already. From the extra-impassive look on the cat spirit's face when he showed up at Honeysuckle Croft, he hadn't – and the rat had lorded it over the cat spy.

Bobo and Floridiana separately told Den that I was back – with varying degrees of excitement, I imagined – and of course the first words out of the little dragon's mouth when he saw me were: "Let's have a welcome-home party!"

But to my surprise, the idea of a night of dancing and drinking didn't excite me as it used to.

Where? I can't exactly swim, you know. Opening my wings, I shook my feathers at him.

Okay, technically, I didn't know if sparrows could swim, since I hadn't fallen into a river yet, but there was an even bigger reason that I didn't want to reprise our parties in the Caltrop Pond Water Court. An absence, that was.

Stripey hadn't come back to Honeysuckle Croft.

Of course he hadn't. It wasn't even close to a hundred years since he went on to his next life.

And yet. And yet.

"It's not like I was going to hold it in my pond or something!" Den squeaked, taking my objection at face value. Floridiana's raised eyebrows made him clear his throat and adopt a more dignified tone. "Ahem. It was not my intention to host the party in a location that would be inconvenient for any of my guests, much less the guest of honor. I am certain that the Baron would be honored to lend us the use of his great hall for the event."

I'd bet. It might be worth it just to see that stuck-up seneschal's reaction.

Come to think of it, Anasius had been Stripey's blood nephew. Shouldn't he have been at the battle too? Shouldn't filial piety and reverence for the older generation have required him to sacrifice himself to save his uncle?

I opened my beak to accept Den's invitation just to spite that duck – but the tiny voice at the back of my head, the one that always sounded like Stripey's, whispered, Is this wise?

I stopped to think.

No. No. It absolutely was not wise. My homecoming had already drawn so much attention in the barony that word of it might even reach Heaven and, well, Heaven frowned on people masquerading as divine emissaries.

In the end, I told Den, I am honored by your welcome, but a formal banquet is unnecessary. It is enough simply to see everyone.

However, having set his heart on an epic party, Den wasn't so easy to dissuade. "Aww, come on, Rosie! We've been working so hard. We haven't had a party in forever. I haven't seen most of the taskforce in forever! It'll be fun to get everyone together, for old times' sake – oh."

He'd finally spotted Bobo. The bamboo viper had drooped into a despondent heap of coils next to the honeysuckle bush.

After a long, painful silence, Den cleared his throat. "Ah. Well. Yes. I see how a party might be too much. After...such a long journey. You must be tired. How long are you staying with us?"