Chapter 12: The Meeting of the Dragon Host

"Mooncloud, look," whispered the dragon, "there's the Palace of the Hundred Stars. That's where all the star gods live. And that's the Palace of the Moon, for Lady Chang and the Jade Rabbit and the Cassia Tree Spirit, and those are the Heavenly Gardens for all the gods and goddesses to enjoy, and that's the Palace of the North Star!" Near the end, his voice rose, earning him a scathing look from Nagi.

I couldn't (entirely) blame him, though. As part of the Dragon King of the Eastern Sea's retinue, we were allowed to parade through the main entrance instead of slinking in the side door for prisoners and lesser gods. From the front, Heaven was a more impressive sight by far.

As we passed under the main gate, with its cloud-white columns and nine sapphire roofs, we could see down a broad avenue lined with palaces, pavilions, and pagodas. Elegant gardens were arrayed on either side, their jade-green lakes dotted with lily pads and reflecting the willows. In the distance, surrounded by a white wall, lay an orchard of peach trees that drooped with fruit. And behind that, on the far side, where all paths ended, loomed the complex known as the Palace of the North Star, the seat of the Jade Emperor. That was where you'd find the Hall of Purple Mists.

And the execution plaza.

But we weren't headed there today. The Dragon King of the Eastern Sea led our procession halfway down the avenue before turning off towards the Sky Breeze Pavilion. Contrary to its peaceful name, we entered to find a hive of activity as star sprite clerks checked off new arrivals' names on floor-length scrolls, directed dragons and their ministers and their servants to the appropriate suites, and called for imp bellhops to record and deliver all the luggage. The Sky Breeze Pavilion had four wings, and we were assigned to – what else? – the east wing.

"Aaaah," sighed my dragon once we'd settled in and he was relaxing by the window. "Aaaaaah."

I expected him to follow up with some comment about how utterly amazing the view was, but he didn't. He just nodded for Nagi to move a lacquered side table next to him for my cage. When we'd first risen from the Eastern Sea in the parade of dragons, I'd wondered whether I were going to suffocate and see Flicker again that way – but I hadn't. Apparently Heaven's awesome might extended to enabling mortal fish to swim through and breathe air.

Now, if I could just figure out how to unlatch my cage door....

"Your Majesty, we should review Your schedule for this evening and tomorrow." Nagi slithered over the carpet, looking ill at ease. She started to coil up on a chair, then winced when her scales snagged the cushion's silk embroidery. Holding herself absolutely still, she rattled off the events planned for the welcome banquet tonight (speeches, performances, and more speeches), and the keynote speaker and sessions for the conference tomorrow.

The dragon barely heard her. He was moping, staring moodily out the window into a tiny side garden. Its pocket-sized pond was overgrown with lotus leaves, but none of the buds had opened yet. It was too early in the year for lotus blossoms, even up here in Heaven. Perhaps especially up here in Heaven, with all its rules and regulations. I'd bet even the plants followed a rigid timetable.

"I wonder how the rolling droughts will affect us," muttered the dragon. "We got assigned decent rainfall last year...but that probably means we're due for a drought this year."

Rolling droughts?

Nagi bobbed her head, making sure not to move any part of her body in contact with the cushion. "That's why You must speak to the Dragon King of the Eastern Sea!" she exhorted him. "Make him remember us so he'll advocate for us!"