Chapter 112: Gold, Silver, and Gemstones - or Books?

The Lychee Grove Earth Court had the wisdom and discerning taste to adopt my recommendation of firefly performances: That was the first thing I noticed. Firefly spirits were blinking on and off in stylized lychee patterns along the walkways, guiding guests to the main courtyard where the banquet to honor Jullia would be held.

(Technically, it was more what I'd call a "garden party" than a "banquet" proper, but that seemed fitting given that the entire Earth Court was one giant garden.)

Whoever organized the event had also had the wisdom and discerning taste to schedule it for twilight, when the lotuses that bloomed in profusion smelled the sweetest. Round lanterns, painted with sprays of flowers or landscapes or historical scenes, hung from the trees, trailing long silk tassels that swayed in the evening breeze. Small square or lotus-shaped lanterns bobbed on the surface of the water, forming glowing clusters like constellations.

(I spared a moment to wonder how Flicker was doing – but only a moment. He was just doing fine, I was sure, harrying souls on to their next lives.)

I was surveying the scene from Floridiana's shoulder, in my guise as spoiled pet sparrow. Although all the high-ranking Earth Court officials, Anthea, and probably Jullia by now too, since the raccoon dog had never been able to keep her mouth shut, knew what I was, that was still no reason to broadcast it. After all, I didn't want to catch the attention of any bored gods or goddesses, and no one else wanted to be on the receiving end of Heaven's wrath when it decided to punish anyone who'd harbored me.

A carved rosewood chair had been set up, throne-like, in a gazebo for Jullia. Towering overhead was a ginormous eight-sided story lantern that rotated slowly, telling the tale of Lychee Grove's salvation. Three panels showed the city being attacked from all sides by an army of surpassing strength (although it omitted the Black Crag banners, presumably for when the queen's uncle returned to royal good graces). Only two panels depicted the lychee eating contest, with hordes of awed onlookers and the Earl of Yellow Flame looking much more dashing than he did in real life. The final three panels were devoted to the queen's majestic arrival to save the city from certain destruction.

Even if this lantern hadn't been my idea, or even something we used to do at Cassius' court, it was a nice touch. It was good to see that modern-day Sericans could innovate too.

The herald positioned at the edge of the courtyard saw our retinue and banged his staff on the paving stones. "Koh Rohanus, Master of the Mint of Lychee Grove, and his daughter, Miss Koh Lodia!"

Lodia looked sicker than if she'd just been called up for her own beheading.

"Chin up, shoulders back, just like we practiced," Floridiana murmured.

"You've got this!" Bobo added, loud enough for the herald to hear.

The man's face didn't twitch. I was watching.

"Come, Lodia," urged her father and, with a gulp, she shuffled after him. She kept her head up, although I would have bet that she didn't register a thing she saw. Both Kohs dropped to their knees before the queen.

"You may raise your heads," came Jullia's cool voice.

They obeyed, and she regarded Rohanus first. "Master Koh. You look well. It has been a while since I saw you and your late wife, has it not?"

At the mention of her erstwhile friend, a stir ran through the courtiers present.

Rohanus dipped his head. "I am grateful that Your Majesty remembers us."