Chapter 5

Raghav was working day and night on a particular consignment, his hands full with numerous projects. But this one had been his focus for years, and he was determined to see it through. He was personally overseeing every detail—a rarity for him. His PA had shortlisted several meetings for the day, and they needed to visit various locations to finalize contracts.

As the day blurred into night, they wrapped up most of the details, leaving only the models' dresses for a photoshoot. He wanted his latest launch to attract both young and middle-aged audiences, having released advertisements a month prior. Many designers and small shops had applied, but since he lacked expertise in that area, his jewelry designer had shortlisted a few companies for him to consider the next day.

Later that night, Raghav found himself in the VIP section of a pub, waiting for his next round of drinks. For the past few years, alcohol had become his escape, a way to keep the chaos at bay. When he lived in South Africa, it was easier to numb the pain, but now, every corner of RR Mansion haunted him. The memories pushed him to the pub each night, where he drank until he felt nothing at all.

He missed his sister terribly. The silence was suffocating, and with each passing moment, the memories tormented him. Her death replayed in his mind like a relentless loop, each thought spiraling into another. What could he have done differently? What if he had been there for her? Those questions never left him. He wished it had been him who died instead of her. The people he loved the most always seemed to slip away, leaving him in a dark void.

Now, his life felt meaningless. His only goals were to keep his mother and his niece, Ritu, safe. Ritu was his sister's final gift to him, a precious reminder of her love. Yet, he had lost custody of Ritu two years ago, and the ache of that loss weighed heavily on him. He longed to protect her, but the circumstances felt insurmountable.

As the alcohol flowed, Raghav let his thoughts drift, drowning in a sea of regret and unresolved grief. He wished for clarity, for a path forward, but all he felt was the emptiness of a life filled with what-ifs.

Late into the night, Raghav stumbled into his car, his mind clouded by alcohol. He slurred his request to the driver, asking him to take him home. The journey felt like a blur until suddenly, the car screeched to a halt.

"Check what's going on outside," he ordered, his words barely coherent.

Seconds stretched into minutes as he lay back, staring at the roof of the car, lost in his thoughts. The commotion outside broke his reverie. Looking around, he noticed his driver hadn't returned yet. With a sigh, he pulled himself out of the car and glanced around, only to realize he was in the same place where he had first met Pallavi.

Returning to Hyderabad had brought him here often, a place steeped in memories where he felt his life had begun to unravel. He sighed, pushing his shaky legs toward the noise. His driver was helping someone, a woman, out of a vehicle. Just as Raghav was about to tap the driver on the shoulder, the woman turned and stumbled into him.

Instinctively, he wrapped an arm around her waist, steadying her. She barely reached his shoulder, and just as he planned to let her go, a familiar aroma of lavender enveloped him, stirring memories of Pallavi.

She quickly slipped from his grasp, stepping back, her face obscured by a cloth. As she lost her balance again on the muddy ground, he caught her once more, refusing to let go this time. He leaned closer, trying to confirm if it was truly her. But he couldn't see her face well; the corners of her eyes glistened with tears. Without thinking, he wiped them away and gently rubbed her bruised forehead, only to feel her flinch at his touch.

"Pallavi?" he murmured, but she didn't respond. In his drunken state, he decided to take matters into his own hands and pulled her toward his car.

Once they reached the vehicle, he released her arm, grabbing the first aid kit from the backseat. As he applied ointment to her forehead, he felt an undeniable recognition. Those eyes were unmistakably Pallavi's.