Chapter 7

The conversation with Pallavi shook him to his core, memories flooding back with an intensity that left his chest tight. Not only did she live next to Rithu, but she also shared a home with Sunny. The weight of it all felt suffocating, a whirlwind of emotions he struggled to comprehend and control.

In a moment of desperation, he reached for his phone and called his lawyer. "I need you to arrange something for me," he said, his voice steady despite the turmoil inside. "I want full custody of Rithu."

His lawyer's response was sobering. "Raghav, it's going to be difficult. The judge may only allow weekend visits. Given the recent incident at the airport and your loss of composure in front of the reporters, the judge is hesitant."

Raghav felt a surge of frustration. "What do you mean? That was a moment of grief! I can't be judged for that!"

"Believe me, I understand, but the judge doesn't see it that way," the lawyer replied. "He's concerned about your ability to handle a two-year-old if you can't manage your own temper."

The mention of the judge's reservations struck a nerve. Raghav knew he had donated a significant amount to charity long before Rithu was even born, a gesture of goodwill he hoped would sway the judge in his favor. It had softened the judge's heart, making him consider the possibility of granting weekend visits. But now, the airport incident loomed large, overshadowing all the good he had done.

"Raghav, the judge is in a dilemma. He wants to ensure Rithu is in a stable environment," his lawyer continued, trying to convey the gravity of the situation. "You need to show him that you can provide that."

Raghav felt the walls closing in, the frustration transforming into a determination to prove himself. "I'll do whatever it takes. I can be a good uncle. I just need the chance."

His lawyer suggested a way to potentially change the judge's mind. "If you personally participate in some charity events, it might help improve your image. If good words get around about you, it could sway the judge's opinion."

Raghav felt a flicker of hope amidst the storm of emotions. "I'll take care of it," he assured his lawyer, determination threading through his voice. Recently, he had donated to a college, and they had invited him to their first-day ceremony. Initially, he had turned down the invitation, but now he reconsidered, knowing it might serve a greater purpose.

After hanging up, Raghav simmered with anger, the memories flooding back with unbearable intensity. He recalled the pain of not being able to see his own niece, Rithu. His mother and he had struggled in those early days, their grief over Keerthi's death casting a long shadow over everything. They hadn't taken proper care of Rithu; they had been lost in their sorrow, barely able to remember what happened around them for those two months. Losing his sister had been unimaginable, a nightmare he never thought he would face. It brought back the haunting memory of losing another younger brother, a tragedy that had sent him spiraling into madness for months. His mother had suffered the same fate, drowning in her grief.

Unfortunately, Sunny had taken advantage of their vulnerability and gained custody of Rithu. To make matters worse, Pallavi's support for Sunny felt like rubbing salt in their wounds. Each time he thought of it, his anger flared anew.

It had been a week since he last encountered Raghav, and in that time, Pallavi and her saree business at the college had begun to flourish. As they packed up on the last day of the event, one of the college organizers approached her. "Congratulations on your success," he said with a warm smile. "Your idea has brought in far more revenue than other stalls, even though you joined us a week late. We'd love for you to attend the ceremony tomorrow; I can introduce you to some investors who might be interested in your work."