Chapter 16 - Mark's Art of War

"Back to the hallway!" Seeing May's demons charge towards them, Mark ran to the hallway where they came from commanding Frost to follow after him.

Having no other choice, James and Lyra followed his call and ran after him with their demons following them.

May's Felid and Cerberus were able to follow them through but the Quetzalcoatl, with its size, just hovered by the entrance of the hallway unable to come through.

'Good call kid! Now let's see what you're really made of.' May smirked, impressed of Mark's technique to reduce his opponents, while getting a piece of white cloth from the right pocket of her vest and started polishing her guns.

"James! Have Aster shoot webs on them!" Mark shouted while running as fast as he can.

"Ok! I'm on it!" James defiantly shouted having Aster shoot webs at May's Cerberus and Felid. May's Felid is able to easily cut the webs no matter how fast they come on it but effectively slowing both the Felid and the Cerberus, preventing them to gain a closer distance on the three.

"Lyra... your Ent... can create... a barricade... right?" Mark started to pant after a few minutes of running. He usually has good stamina in running but this time, his body looks like it's not in good shape.

"Yes but even if Avery use both his hands..." Lyra, on the other hand seem to still have enough stamina to still talk normally while running. She was however, cut short by Mark before finishing her sentence.

"Just... use... one of... his... hands!" Mark finally stopped, waiting for James to catch up then whispered something on his ear.

"Bbut as I was saying, even if he uses both his hands, they won't be enough to hold against those two! Either the Cerberus would burn them in seconds or May's Felid would cut them with ease. I mean just look at how easily the Yeti is able to break loose from its grip!" Lyra stopped as well but after a few seconds, continued running when Mark suddenly resumed scampering through the hallway.

"It's ok just create a barrier with one of his hands on my signal. And oh have Avery stop now!" Mark started running at a slower rate while Frost and Aster stopped at the command of their masters. Avery stopped as well and walked to the front of Frost and Aster.

"Now!" Seeing the Cerberus and Felid approaching them, Mark gave Lyra the command to create a wood barrier.

Having heard the command, Lyra quickly relayed it to Avery. The command was promptly obeyed, with Avery extending its right arm forward then branched out to multiple branches each extending towards random points of the wall around it.

The barrier, although not yet fully set up, now blocks the sight of Mark's team and their demons. Avery wasn't able to complete the barrier though, for as soon as the Cerberus came close a few inches from it, it quickly smoldered the barrier with fire as quickly as a man winks twice.

May's Felid quickly lounged through the fire but was surprised by two webs approaching it. With its alacrity though and keen senses, it was able to quickly cut through the webs and evaded a third but it was kicked by Frost from its right side.

It was able to prevent itself from hitting the wall by using its left front limb to touch the wall and maneuver itself back to Frost, evading another web.

Frost, instead of meeting up with the Felid, ran back towards Avery who quickly created another barrier with its left arm. Frost jumped through the barrier just in time before it closed.

May's Felid retreated, allowing the Cerberus to consume it yet again with fire. Having been destroyed by the fire, the Felid lounged yet again through it and was met with Frost clashing its claws with Frost's blade.