Chapter 19 - First Blood

Shyra's team hiked through a tropical rain forest. The team's mission is to locate yet another temple ruins within the heart of the forest.

The location was merely guided by a theoretical map that was referenced from an ancient map found on a previous excavation which the military used to make some estimates based on the location's current geographical form compared to the time when the map was made.

"Uhmmm why don't we have escorts like the others?" Caitlin uttered while panting due to their long walk.

"How did you know the others have escorts?" Shyra curiously asked in spite of obviously knowing that she is the least favored among the instructors.

"We overheard the other instructors talking about other officers joining them. Mr. Cabal will meet with Mr. Lima and a couple of scouts, Ms. Santos has some soldiers at the place they would go to accompany their team. And well..." Jory interjected but was cut short by Shyra.

"Our mission isn't that difficult for us to need other soldiers. We are only to find the ruins that is being pointed out on this map, report it to the General, and we're done!" Shyra tried to encourage her team, which is very surprising considering her very serious attitude.

"But what if there are enemies out here?" Hank joined the conversation, expressing his nervousness which seem to be feeling the same as the other two.

"Don't worry kids. If we work together, there's nothing we can't handle." Shyra tried her best to keep the team encouraged though having doubts herself.

This has always been her place at the military. Least favored, ridiculed, given the least mission without much support.

She brushed off the thought that always hurt her everytime she feels the unfair treatment, the military is giving her.

The hike is long, cutting through tall grasses, crossing wide rivers, and even climbing steep cliffs.

"Let's rest here for a while." Shyra put her bag pack under an old oak tree in the middle of a small open ground covered with short green grass. Around them are still tall trees with thick bushes and thick vines covering the trees.

The students simply sat where they stopped out of fatigue.

Everyone got their water canteen from their bags and started drinking.

A few minutes later, Shyra was alerted with a killing intent she suddenly felt near the place.

"Kids, move closer together quick!" Shyra spoke in a very alarming tone that made the kids run toward her in fear.

She then formed a shield to block knives thrown behind her.

"Very good reflexes you have there!" A male voice echoed from somewhere they can't distinguish.

"Show yourself coward!" Shyra spoke with firmness looking around, trying to find their unwanted companion.

"Very well then." A shadowy figure suddenly showed in front of them walking from the shadows of the tree.

The figure finally showed in the light, revealing someone wearing a black hooded monk's robe hiding part of his face, with the rest too shadowed to be clearly seen. The left chest of the robe displays the insignia of a round wooden shield with an axe and a scythe crossed in front of it.

"What do you want?" Shyra moved in front of the kids while distinctively moving her fingers.

"Let me see. I just want to have fun!" The man laughed manically then started to run around them while throwing knives, randomly targetting any of them.