Chapter 5 - A New Family

Fear and doubt crept in Mark's heart as the motorcycle moved with haste towards the secret military base.

It all happened too fast. It was just a while ago, when Mark was with his mother in the market when May approached their stall. That time, her hair seemed to have been dyed black, in contrast to her usual purple hair.

Even more surprising was May's outfit that consisted of a peach-colored low cut spaghetti strap dress. May's overall appearance made Mark doubt if that really was her, but the boy couldn't deny the face of the one that assisted him at the military base the day before, even though this one appeared to be the sweet version of that woman.

"Oh, you're here early." Mark's Mom greeted May who just smiled shyly in response then turned to Mark. "Mark this your Aunt May, the one I've been talking about you yesterday" Yesterday, ah yes one of the weirdest days he ever had. He woke up lying in his bed after being dozed off by Stephen. The moment her mother arrived, she didn't seem worried about Mark. Instead, she asked how his visit with his aunt went and that his aunt May would fetch him the day after.

He expected that May would come to get him that day, but he didn't expect it to happen this way.

Mark, still confused, bowed in politeness for May as his mother continued to speak. "I've already told Mark that you are going to take him for vacation this summer and he's so excited that he has already packed his things last night!" The jolly tone of his mother in front of a stranger wasn't new to him but what surprised him was that he never thought about May being a relative.

Was this true? Was May kin after all? He had heard all about her last night but he still couldn't seem to grasp the gist of it all.

"Ah, that's wonderful! So shall we be off Mark? We need to arrive as early as possible. I've got a lot of things to show you in our place!" The voice was May's alright but the tone seemed to be a lot off.

Mark nodded then looked at his mother as if checking if she would allow him to leave. "Don't worry about me Mark, I can handle this. Now go enjoy your vacation" His mother gently motioned him to go with May with a full smile. With that, Mark got his bag under the stall table, kissed his mom goodbye then went off with May.

Before getting to the edge of the city, Mark asked permission to visit the public library.

Though annoyed by the delay, May allowed him, given that he'd finish his business very quickly. The moment they stopped at the front of the library, he ran as fast as he could to the entrance and quickly got the book which he fixed the last night, replacing the lost leather with a piece of paper board he cut from his makeshift bed. He gave the book to the librarian, signed the card for a return then quickly waved goodbye at her as he ran towards the library's exit.

Back at the present, Mark rode behind May at the lady's motorcycle, running a hundred miles per hour. He wanted to ask several questions but out of fear, he remained silent.

He couldn't see the way because of sunglasses that totally obscured his vision. May made him wear the opaque glasses as a way for them to hide the location of the military base. He wanted to take off the glasses but of course, that would not be the smart thing to do in the presence of a woman, who just knocked him unconscious the other night.

A few hours of travel, and they finally came to a stop. May took the sunglasses off Mark's eyes and motioned him to get off.

Mark found himself in a dim wide room with several motorcycles and cars parked by walls and dividers. The walls seem old with the faded white painting, all ruined by dirt and mildews.

As usual, May pulled Mark by his right hand and headed towards an elevator.

She pressed the button labeled B32 then a down arrow symbol was lit right beside the row of number buttons representing each floor. Mark could see buttons labeled LG from the top, with B20 beside it up to buttons B19 and B40 at the bottom.