Chapter 10 - There's a First Time for Everything

A bolt of lightning sent Mark flying to a wall in the sparring room. It is a good thing that he's wearing a protective vest and helmet or else, he would have been rushed to the clinic by now.

"I'm sorry! Are you ok?" A girl with long black hair, tied in a single pony tail falling to her waist, rushed to check on him.

"Return to your position Ms. Alcain! It's Mr. Lorenzo's fault for not paying attention. Remember this class, once in the battlefield, a second of distraction can cause you your lives! Now!" The professor struck a long rod against the wall behind him to catch the attention of the class.

"Mr. Lorenzo back to your position!" Mark ran forward ending up a few meters away from his opponent. "Ok Ms. Alcain, fire!"

Mark's opponent pointed her fore finger on him, followed by another bolt of lightning that rushed towards him.

With the lightning bolt rushing rapidly towards him, he pulled half of his body backwards in a clockwise position to evade the attack.

The professor hit his forehead with the palm of his right hand. "Are you listening to me Mr. Lorenzo! I said, block her attack with a shield, not take it in nor evade it! Uggh! Ms. Davis! Come here and show this idiot how it is done!"

Myrtle walked towards Mark and replaced his spot, with Mark going back to the rest of the class while bowing down in embarrassment.

Once in position, the class professor motioned Ms. Alcain to fire a lightning bolt. The girl quickly pointed her fore finger towards Myrtle then a blue flash of lighting shot forth from it.

Without moving her hands, a shield, almost resembling a floating round, flat glass formed in front of Myrtle in an instant successfully blocking the lightning bolt that came rushing towards her.

"Magnificent! Brilliantly done Ms. Davis!" The professor applauded in fascination with Myrtle's performance.

"Now let's see you try again Mr. Lorenzo!" Mark hesitantly walked forward but before he can move an inch, the bell rang for lunchtime.

"Unfortunately, time is up! See you all tomorrow, especially you Mr. Lorenzo!" The professor started with cheery eyes but gradually thinned down in annoyance upon mentioning Marks surname.

Everyone got out of the room with Mark being the last one to exit, enveloped by an aura of gloom.

"Oh hello there Mark!" Stephen suddenly appeared, walking towards Mark's direction in a fast pace but gradually slowed down as he approaches Mark. "You look kind of gloomy today. What's wrong?"

Mark stopped walking in respect of Stephen but his head remained bowed and his posture slumped.

"Uhmmm...just hungry... I guess." Mark's evasion of Stephen's eyes strongly reveals his denial of the real emotion he is in.

Stephen simply smiled seemingly able to understand what's going on within Mark's reticent mind.

"Oh by the way, I need your help for something. Would you come with me later after your class?" Stephen asked earning a nod from Mark who started to smile.

"Ahaha you're as silent as always. Anyway see you later kid!" Stephen patted Mark on the head and then walked away.

Melancholy accompanied Mark as he walked through the hallway alone then downstairs. The noise started to build up again as he reach the dining hall.

He entered and got his food at the counter.

"Hey Mark come and sit with us!" A boy sitting at the table, third row from the counter, shouted as Mark leave the counter.