Chapter 26

"Speak to me, Cain?"

I sigh and look over at him. His head is a bit of a mess. Stress maybe? "My mother came over today. She told me that father is in jail again."

"What! For what?"

"Kidnapping my sister."

"Oh wow, is she ok?"

"Mom says that she is scared of father after that."

"And she wasn't when he got out of jail?"

"We all are afraid of him. Well, I used to not anymore. Anyway, my mom and sister are going to testify against him, and I'm going with them," I look down at the sheets "sadly."

"Well, at least you are going to see him after so long."

"But I don't want to see him. I don't want anything to do with him really."

"I don't know what to say to that?" I sigh and look out the window so he wouldn't see the sadness behind my eyes. I then felt something heavy on my bed and a hand on my shoulder, "I'm sorry I have been such a jerk to you."

"It's alright now," I turn to him, "you're here, and you were by my side yesterday."

"You were awake the whole time?"

"Nah. I heard you in my sleep. I thought it was a dream when you said you loved me," I look out the window, looking at the trees. There is a nest resting on one of them. You can see the mother bird protecting her young.

"You thought it was a dream? So when did you realize it wasn't? You were asleep, weren't you?"

"I was when you first told me, but I was awake when you left for soccer. You hugged me and said that you love me." I should be more surprised by this, but I don't really have a surprised look. I am how, ever, feeling surprised.

"What I said is true. I am an idiot for not realizing this till I saw you in this hospital bed."

"I think it's about time I told you how it affected me when we stopped being friends."

Alex put a hand on my shoulder as he spoke, "I can probably imagine how it affected you. I felt bad about doing that too you."

I look at him, "You hurt me. I didn't know what happen to you that you would turn on me like that. You know how hard it was when my father turned too drugs and left because he is ordered to. And how much it affected my mother and sister? It is super hard on me. Yes I usually just shrug it off when he is mentioned but you know me. And having to deal with this on my own after you left me," I turn to the window, "you wouldn't know what it felt like. And now dammit. I'm doing drugs and drinking. I swore that I wouldn't turn into my father but I'm doing what he does. Drugs and drinking," I felt something behind my eyes and cursed quietly to myself.

I sniffled, hoping that Alex didn't hear but did, "You ok?"

I turned to him, looking into his blue eyes. And shook my head, "I never planned on becoming my father-"

"You're not like your father. You are better than him. Doing drugs or drinking has nothing to do with him. It's your choice to do those things, of course. But you are not like your father."

Poor Cain :( He needs a hug.

Next is Alex and there will be a surprise in the next chapter :)

Meanwhile Lucas and Dylan are alone somewhere in the hospital. Who knows what things they are up too :3