Michael - Chapter Eighteen

Stephen woke up in the morning, anxious about going into work, today was the first day of filming catchphrase. He's usually excited to film for catchphrase, it's always so much fun, but this time there's a big difference, there's a problem with filming. And that problem was Michael.

He's tried to forget about it, tried to forget about Michael. But he couldn't, not after what he said and how he treated him and Ant. He was absolutely dreading working with the man. He's been so nervous about it, he's surprised Ant hadn't noticed. Which wasn't true Ant had noticed, he just hadn't mentioned it... not yet, only because he know it's because of Michael and he want's to see how Stephen is after work, after his first day of working with the man. 

Ant still was NOT happy about the fact Stephen has to work with him, and that the people who hired him said that 'he and Stephen would just have to learn to get along' or 'Stephen can just ignore him' as if what Michael said didn't happen or as if it wasn't that bad, like it was just a dirty look across the room, and Stephen can't 'Just ignore him' he's an executive on the show, he was practically one of Stephen's bosses. Ignoring your boss is not a good thing, last time Ant checked! 

As far as Stephen is aware Ant has no clue how shitty Stephen is actually feeling, because he thinks that if Ant knew, he would be asking Stephen if he was okay, every other hour, but Ant knows if he does that then, he's not going to get an answer out of the younger man.

Stephen was in the kitchen, eating breakfast, when Ant came down stairs, he walked into the kitchen to be met with a anxious looking Stephen. He's tried to give Stephen space for the last week, but he couldn't today, not when it was Stephen's first day back on catchphrase. "You okay there?"

Stephen's head shot up, when he heard the older man, he wasn't expecting him to be awake yet. As soon as Ant made eye contact with him, Stephen turned his head back down to look at his cereal. He took a deep breath in, and started stirring his cereal around with his spoon. "Uh... Yeah, I'm fine." Stephen said "What you doing up so early? Your not working today?" Stephen asked desperately trying to change the subject, Ant clearly didn't believe him when he said he was fine, and he wasn't going to let the younger man change the subject that easily, and even if the younger man had to go to work, he wasn't going anywhere until he told Ant what was wrong. 

"Are you nervous?" Ant asked, as Stephen stood up and took his bowl over to the sink. "I mean- I guess I'm a bit nervous" Stephen said, he clearly didn't want to talk about this right now, but Ant needed to know how Stephen was feeling, otherwise he'd just worry about him all day. 

"Your allowed to be nervous Stevie, You know that right?" Ant said as he walked over to where Stephen was leaning on the kitchen Island. As he stood next to the younger man, Stephen turned to face the other side, he couldn't look at Ant now, he was just feeling so vulnerable right now, and even though he knows he doesn't have to hide feeling this way, especially around Ant, but he can't help it. He didn't give an answer to Ant, he just gave a faint nod. 

"I'm going to be late" Stephen said, as he stood up straight. He turned around and started to make his way over to the front door. Ant followed behind, he couldn't decide whether to push more, for an answer or not, but before he could come to a decision, Stephen gave Ant a peck on the lips and then left for work.

*TIME SKIP* 

Stephen finally pulled up outside the studio, he sat in his car for a moment as he took a deep breath, and got out of his car. He walked over to the studio and as he entered, he smiled, and tried his best to hide how he was actually feeling. 

He walked into reception, with a smile on his face, as he signed in and made his way over to his dressing room, hoping to avoid as many people as possible, he was walking down a corridor, he was staring at his phone, when he bumped into someone. "Shit. Sorry about tha-" Stephen started. When he looked up to see Michael standing in front of him. 

He didn't know what to say, and to be honest, he didn't want to say anything. But he knew he had to. "Morning Michael" Stephen said, no expression on his face. Michael on the other hand, he had a smirk on his face, but Stephen had no idea why. "Stephen." Michael said, as a small huffed laugh came out. 

Stephen was very confused right now, Michael had a smirk on his face, and the younger man didn't know why. "What's so funny?" Stephen asked, as Michael rolled his eyes slightly. "I just- I never thought I'd have to work with you." Michael said, as Stephen nodded slightly "You and me both" Michael and Stephen just stood there for a moment. 

As Stephen was about to leave he heard Michael say out of the blue "I still think I'm right" leaving Stephen a bit confused for a moment, until Michael explained further. "I don't think you and Ant should've come out, I still think that you and Ant are..." Stephen interrupted Michael, he knew what he was going to say. "Wrong?" Stephen said, half asking, half stating. 

"Yeah..." Michael started, "Don't think I'm going to forget it or ignore this okay, because my beliefs about what you are, their strong" Michael finished. That statement really shook Stephen. He never thought that Michael would be so up front about it. 

"Well- I wasn't expecting you to just forget it" Stephen said "I knew you weren't going to make year easy" Michael took a step forward, getting closer to Stephen and just as he was going to say something else, there was a voice calling from down the hall. It was Lisa, the make up artist on catchphrase, and a close friend of Ant, Dec and Stephen's.

"Hey Stephen, we're ready for you in make-up" She shouted down the hall, as Stephen stepped back, feeling a bit scared, he slowly turned around and nodded to Lisa, he made his way down and met Lisa with a smile and they started to make their way to make-up. 

"Everything okay?" Lisa asked, concerned for Stephen. "Uh, yeah. Everything's good!" Stephen replied with a smile. As they walked down the hall, and Lisa wasn't convinced. At all!