November 30th

For me
I have seen how much the abuse left me in pieces.
It left my childhood to be remembered as one of deception and quiet suffering, and my teen years as forever tainted by what happened.
I grew accustomed to being in discomfort, I am used to aching.
I began to think that this is simply the way life is for people like me, you get hurt and you never stop hurting, but I am beginning to see things differently.
Why would I throw myself away because of what happened?
Why would I let him ruin me?
I deserve better, I deserve a life that doesn't leave me waiting for the sun to rise.
If not for myself then for the child who was left empty, we both deserve better.

Picking up the pieces
I listen to songs with an upbeat tune rather than ones full of melancholy,
Inviting in the sun rather than drawing on the nights.
I spent time with those I love and cherish,
Because I deserve people who I ooze together with like honey.
I will write about what I believe and what I am rather than what aches,
For there is more to this life than my pain.
I will stay clean and sober,
Because I know that addiction adds nothing more to my experience than pain.
I will work towards what is important to me,
Reaching for the stars that I wish to hold closest brings more light than anything else ever did.
I will let myself be what I am,
Because fighting imaginary battles only caused me aching.
I will put myself back together.