Chapter Seventy-Three: The Cottage

Dean sat at the kitchen table in his family home, his Mother poured him a glass of milk

     Dean sat at the kitchen table in his family home, his Mother poured him a glass of milk. Sam and I stood against an archway, watching this memory play out. It hurt Sam much more, I could see it in his eyes. Dean on the other hand, was doting his Mother, he could peel his eyes away.

"You want the crusts cut off?" Mary asks with a smile, holding up a knife ready to slice those crusts off.

"Yeah. I.. I'd love that," once Dean said yes, Mary began to slice the crusts. Dean watches her carefully, like he was a hawke stalking his prey.

"Mom?" Sam tried to talk to his mother, but she was obvious to him and I. We simply weren't there, her main focus was on Dean.

"I guess it's not your memory, Sam. Sorry," Dean announces, his eyes flicked to Sam and then back to Mary.

"Dean, uh... We should... Go – Keep looking for the road,"

"I know. Just – Just give me a minute, ok?" Dean spoke, and I could hear the pleading in his voice, wanting nothing more to stay with his Mother in this memory. I watched Mary, now finished with the cutting of the crusts, and placed a comforting hand on Dean's shoulder.

"Dean-"

"Sam, please. One minute," in reality, Sam couldn't bear the memory, and the time Dean shared with their mother. I shifted uncomfortably in my position, as I noticed Sam drift his gaze from his brother. Mary places the food in front of Dean, and strokes his head briefly, before moving into the kitchen. Just then, the telephone rings, and we all turn our gazes up.

"Hello," Mary started with a smile, her eyes locked onto Dean. But soon as she heard the voice on the other end, she turned away from her son. "No, John. We're not having this conversation again. Time to think? About what? You have two boys at home," Mary was arguing with John as every married couple goes through.

"I remember this," Dean spoke. "Mom and Dad were fighting, and then he moved out for a couple days," Dean recalled the memory from his early childhood. .

"Dad always said they had the perfect marriage," Sam states, as he was told by his Father another story.

"It wasn't perfect until after she died," Dean states softly.

"Fine. Then don't," Mary's voice came back into earshot. "There's nothing more to talk about.," she states, before hanging the phone back on the telephone.

"What happens next?" Sam was eager to find out. Dean got up from his seat, and made his way through the archway into the kitchen, round the counter, and stood in front of Mary.

"It's ok, Mom," Dean leaned in, and embraced her into a hug. "Dad still loves you. I love you, too. I'll never leave you," his words touched me, and I felt bad for him, and Sam. Mary would have been a loving Mother.

"You are my little angel," Mary states, making me out of my trance, to see her cupping Dean's cheek. "How 'bout some pie," she states with excitement. Dean turned back to us, and walked back over to his chair.