Anxiety

Donte: 15/Jay: 35

No one's pov
Kelly was sat on the coach with Shay watching a movie. Donte was staying with them because Jay was in the hospital after getting shot. Donte was sat on the floor, repeatedly tapping his left hand on the floor while he was scratching his upper left arm with his right while being zoned out.

Kelly's pov
Donte is sat on the floor tapping and scratching at his arm. Me and Shay look at each other deciding how to intervene.
Shay: Donte
After hearing Shays voice he flinched but remained zoned out.
Kelly: Hey kiddo you okay?
He flinched again.
Kelly: Donte
Donte seemed to zone back in
Donte: hmm
Shay: you okay?
Donte: er yeah I'm fine
He zoned back out but this time began to bite his nails. I recognised these signs. He was anxious.
Shay: what's on your mind kiddo?
Donte: doesn't matter
Kelly: it does if it's making you anxious like this
Donte: I just I nevermind
Kelly: Donte please
Donte then got up and began pacing back and forth. Me and Shay began getting increasingly worried. He only does this when he's on the edge of a panic attack. We need to somehow calm him down.
Shay: Hey Donte what's going on?
Dontes breathing was becoming for staggered and louder with the pace increasing. He was now creeping into a panic attack
Donte: (fast) Everything's too much. Dad got shot. What if he dies? He's going to leave me. I've lost mama I can't lose dad too. We don't even know how he is. Uncle Will hasn't rung which means dad is still in surgery but it's been like 4 hours and they said the surgery would take up to 2 hours which means something went wrong. W-what if he didn't make it and they don't want to tell me?
Me and shay looked at each other as now it all makes sense.
Kelly: Okay, okay, okay, hey, take a breath. Everything will be fine.
We began to recognise the panic attack. I held Dontes hand against my chest and exaggerated my breathing to help calm him down.
Shay: You're okay just follow Kelly's breathing.
He still wasn't calming down. He went into loads of absences seizures in the space of like 10 minutes
Kelly: this isn't gonna be good
He came round and was still panicking
Kelly: Donte you're okay. Everything will be okay
Donte clutched onto my shirt and let out the most heartbreaking sobs. I just held him and told Shay to get him a water. It took awhile but eventually his breathing eventually calmed and his heart rate decreased.

Donte: s-sorry
Kelly: you have nothing to be sorry. I can't promise that he'll make it but I can tell you that he will fight like hell to stay.
After he calmed down he tried to distance himself. He is just like his dad struggling with emotions. With Donte he doesn't know how to handle it so after he shuts himself away which leads to him overthinking and results in him losing his temper cause his thoughts got too much. Shay came back with a bottle of water.
Shay: hey d here
Donte: thank you
Donte then tried to go to the spare room
Kelly: Hey bud why don't we have a lazy day and we can order in?
Donte: no thanks
Shay: come on D you can pick
Donte: really Kelly never lets me pick
Shay: well he will this time and whatever you pick he has to deal with okay?
Donte: okay
While Shay ordered I could see him zone out again.
Kelly: talk to me bud
Donte: it's just everything i was feeling just built up and felt so overwhelming.
Kelly: I hear that
Donte: why can't I handle things like this like everybody else can
Kelly: I understand what you mean like I'm not good with emotions either and when it gets too much I don't know how to react so I react the only way I know how whether it's shutting people out, getting angry or just simply braking down.
Donte: finally someone who understands.
We both chuckled.
Shay: Chinese is on the way
Donte: yesssss
We had a fast and furious marathon and went to bed.