Car journey

Donte: 3/ Jay: 23/ Liam: 5/ Rebecca: 24

Jays pov 
We were driving to pick up Rebecca's brother Sam from the airport as he was gonna spend a few weeks with us. Car journeys with Donte can be a nightmare. He can get too restless and if we can't stop for a break it often ends in a meltdown. The drive to the airport was about 2 hours. We came to a deal with Donte that if he was well behaved then Sam will take him shopping. He's always excited when Sam is here so I knew he would try his best to keep to it.
Halfway through the drive he was getting very restless and annoyed. This is progress as it normally takes like 20 minutes into the drive for him to become restless. He was sat in his car seat with a blue blanket he had since he was born.
Donte: Daddyy
Jay: yeah kiddo?
Donte: I want out
Jay: I'm sorry kiddo but there's nowhere to stop yet
Donte: daddyy out please
Rebecca: Donte pack it in
He began kicking his legs out and hitting the seat beside him as he was sat next to the window.
Jay: kiddo, calm down we'll stop soon
Rebecca: remember if your good Uncle Sam will take you shopping.
Donte: Uncle Sam?
Rebecca: yeah baby Uncle Sam
Liam: we pick him up now
Donte calmed down a little and Liam gave him something to play with. This only lasted like 10 minutes before he started again.
Donte: Mama me out
Rebecca: not yet
Donte: no out now
Jay: hang on bud
Donte wasn't having it his frustration quickly increasing.
Donte: No out now daddy please
He continued to kicked his feet which is something he mainly did when he was frustrated and annoyed.
Jay: I know bud, I know just wait until we get to Uncle Sam and we'll get you out and have a run about okay?
I tried to reason with him but he wasn't having it he wanted to get out now.

Rebecca's pov
Donte has been getting rather agitated and needs to get out but there is nowhere currently to stop. I turned in my seat to face him and he had angry tears in his eyes and began kicking Jays seat. Jay put his hand around the back of his seat to try stop him kicking.
Rebecca: hey bud stop kicking the seat. Daddy needs to concentrate on the road.
I then turned to Jay.
Rebecca: we need to calm him down before he has a full blown meltdown.
Jay: mhm
I turned around to look at him again
Rebecca: Tay look at me
I put my hand on his which was hitting the seat next to him in anger. He then looked up at me. The look in his eyes broke my heart. He looked so sad and angry.
Rebecca: There we go Tay, we can pull soon okay?
Jay: there will be somewhere to stop soon okay bud?
Donte: no no out now
Rebecca: hey hey calm down
Tears of anger streamed down his face.
Rebecca: hey Tay it's okay darling don't cry
Donte: mama out please
Rebecca: not yet bud
Donte: let me out
He started trying to open the car door but couldn't because of the doors were on child lock. He began punching the car door and the seat beside him and throwing toys one ending up hitting Jay.
Jay: hey bud we don't throw things okay. Calm down for me bud.
Donte: I want out
He began screaming and crying.
I turned back to Jay.
Rebecca: I think we should find a park or something and get Sam to meet us there it will only be 30 minutes in an Uber for him.
Jay: good idea

Jays pov
Donte can't take any more of this journey so we're gonna find a park for them to play.
Jay: hey bud how about we go to the park?
His screaming and crying died down to light sobs
Liam: but what about Uncle Sam
Donte: he not coming?
I could hear the sadness in their voices
Jay: hey don't worry he's just gonna meet us at the park
Donte: so he see us
Jay: yeah bud you'll still see him
Donte: park?
Jay: sure bud
He finally began to calm down.

Rebecca pov
I rang Sam and put it on speaker so I could still talk to Donte
Rebecca: Sam
Sam: Hey
Donte: Mama talk Uncle Sam
Rebecca: in a minute
Rebecca: Change of plans Dontes had a big meltdown cause he was getting restless and the drive is too much for him. We're gonna go to a park so it doesn't escalate. Because I know he wouldn't be able to handle the rest of the journey I've ordered you an Uber it should be there when you land.
Sam: okay thank you. How is he now?
Rebecca: actually he calmed down now he's heard your voice
Sam: pass me over

Sams pov
I know how hard it is for Donte to be in the car for a long time. He gets really agitated and uncomfortable. I don't mind getting an Uber to the park. Hopefully with me in the car on the way back it will go a bit smoother.
Sam: hey buddy
Donte: Uncle Sam
Sam: you okay?
Donte: out of car
Sam: soon kiddo
Donte: it's boring in the car
Sam: well I'm gonna see you very soon so we can run around as much as you like. Be good for me okay?
Donte: mhm
Sam: remember our deal
Donte: mhm
Sam: I know that the ride is hard but if your good from now until we get home I'll take you out okay?
Donte: really?
Sam: yep
Donte: okay
He then put the phone down

Jay pov
We arrived at a park. As soon as Donte and Liam saw where we were their eyes lit up.
Donte: out now
Rebecca opened Liams door and I got Donte out. As soon as they were let loose they ran to the playground. I loved how happy it had made them. Hearing their laughs was my favourite sound in the world.
Donte ran up to me.
Donte: Dad, mama come play with us.
We played a game of hide and seek until we heard a car pull up. That's all Donte needed to hear. He took off towards the car.
Jay: Donte get back here
He reached the car and Sam got out. Sam held his hand and walked him back with his suitcase in the other hand.
Jay: Donte you can't run off like that
Donte: but Uncle Sam here
Jay: I know bud but that could have been a stranger you ran up to. You need to be careful okay
Donte: sorry
He gave me a hug.
Sam: you ready for the ride home?
Jay: nope
Donte: yeah you sit with me and Liam
Sam: yep
Rebecca: come on let's go home
We all got in the car and started the journey home.

Sam pov
We were now on our way home and 20 minutes in Liam had his head on my shoulder asleep and Donte had his head on my lap asleep too.
Sam: I guess no meltdowns on the way back then
Jay and Rebecca looked back and let out a laugh at the sight.
Jay: this is the quietest they've been
The next day we took Donte to get legos and he got something for Liam too.