Last Chance

Grant and I walk out of the bar, standing so close that our hands keep brushing against each other. I don't grab his hand though and he doesn't grab mine. It feels as though we've reverted to the awkward stage we were at right after we slept together for the first time. The "what are we" stage. Neither of us knew what we were allowed to do and what we weren't.

"I love LA weather, it's so warm for 9pm." Grant puts his hand gently behind me to guide me across the street to the park.

I am in no mood for small talk. As soon as we reach the park, I grab his hand and make him face me. "You wanted to get me alone for a reason, tell me."

He sighs and squeezes my hand, sending butterflies through my stomach. "You're right, as always. We need to talk."

"About?" I question him. I can't help but to hope he is finally talking to me about his mysterious past. The wedding is tomorrow which means the pressure is on for us to talk about this.

"The wedding." My hope is crumbled. He isn't opening up to me after all.

I look across the street, focusing on the people coming in and out of the bar. "Okay, I'm listening." I lie. My mind was far too preoccupied for this conversation.

"We're not each other's date." He says matter of factly.

I turn to him. "We're not."

He leans back on the bench. "I don't think I'm going to be very convincing as someone else's date. People are going to see the googly eyes I'll be making at you from a mile away."

I can't help but laugh. "You're worried you'll blow our cover?"

"I'm worried I'll make you lose your job."

"Hmm, it sounds like we need a plan."

He smirks. "Do you have one?"

"I always have one."

He inches closer to me, eagerness shining in his eyes. "I'm dying of anticipation."

I move even closer to him, lighting a tiny but mighty flame in me. "We use a code word."

He tilts his head. "Elaborate."

The craftiness of the idea brings a smile to my face. "When one of us uses the code word, we both disappear and meet on mutual ground."

"That sounds like something I can take advantage of. I like it."

Cars fly past us, creating a loud breeze. "Our dates might have five minutes with us."

Grant laughs, warming my heart. I didn't know how much I needed to hear him laugh until now. "I just have one question, what do we do in these time outs?"

I shrug. "Whatever we want to." I tap my chin in concentration. "I think our code word should be red and we should meet in one of our cars."

He squints. "Okay, but why red?"

I bite my lip, remembering the significance of this color for me. "A lot of our best moments had a red accent."

He smiles, staring at my lips. "Okay red it is."

I give him a warning glance. "Just remember, this is Vanessa's day, we can't make it about us, okay?"

He nods. "Agreed."

"So," I say in a sing-songy voice. "You and Grayson seemed to be getting along."

"We're talking."

"You're helping him find his missing child, even though he doesn't think he has one."