Chapter 7 - His View

I made sure to tuck her in when placing her on my bed after she decided to fall asleep outside on the ground. I left her in my room and headed back outside of my home, a soft sigh escaping me. It's been years since I've seen her. I never expected to ever see her again, especially with how things ended between us. Though it really was all my fault. I don't even know what was even going through my head back then. Of course for her it wasn't even that long ago. It's going to take her a lot longer to hopefully give me another chance at just being her friend. I doubt I can ever earn her heart again. Not with all the pain I've caused her then and now.

"Monkey King... Do you know her?" I look at my successor as I return to him and Macaque. "I do Bud, but... I messed up big time with her." A soft snort comes from my darker counterpart, which earns a glare from me. "When haven't you messed up in the past, Wukong?" I lightly growl, knowing that he's just trying to get under my skin. Though I'm not sure why. "What are you even here for Macaque?"

"Awe, don't trust your old pal? Do you still think so lowly of me?"

"Well only a month ago you were playing "which side will keep me alive" while we were trying to figure out how to get rid of the Lady Bone Demon. So me being suspicious of you is justified."

"Ouch, that really hurts Monkey King." I roll my eyes at his obvious sarcasm. I swear if it wasn't for the fact that MK wants me to mend the bridge between me and Macaque I would get rid of him or at the very least send him flying from Flower Fruit Mountain. "Macaque." He raises his hands up in defense. "Fine, I'm just curious how you could cause some human such pain that it's like she's dying every time she hears your name or even has any reminder of your existence even though she's never actually died. Honestly I thought what happened between us was bad, but you've really done a number on her."

Instead of hitting Macaque, I hit a nearby tree out of anger. Not because of him getting under my skin, but because of what kind of pain I'm putting Peaches through and just being reminded of it by my shadow. "Maybe we should talk about something else? How-"

"No. He wants to know so I'll tell him." I look from the kid to my former friend. "I fell in love with her, but I didn't know that was what I had been feeling at first so I was rude to her until I realized it didn't feel right. I apologized and over the next month I did what I could to get closer with her, but for some reason in my stupid brain I thought it was smart to act like I didn't want to abandon my duties and just stay with her in her weird world, which was just the future as I've recently learned. I made it even worse when her best friend May came over and made some comment about Peaches' and I's undying love for each other and I ultimately broke her heart. She nearly died because of me! I almost lost her because of my stupid actions and I got what I deserved in the end! She didn't give me a second chance like I hoped she would've, but I didn't deserve a second chance! I knew then and there that I had truly lost the thing I truly loved and I could do nothing to change it because I knew I'd return with the others back to the past to continue our journey for the sacred scrolls!"

I actually felt better now that I got that out instead of bottling it up like I normally do. Though it did leave me in a vulnerable state that I don't enjoy being in, especially when it brought tears to my eyes. Just like they are now. It wasn't often I cried, but I've just gotten so good at keeping all of my emotions inside of me from being around for so long. In a quick motion I wiped away the tears to hopefully hide that they had formed and started falling.

"Monkey King..." I look at the kid as he places a hand on my shoulder. "Everyone makes mistakes in life, especially when they've lived as long as you have, but that doesn't mean you can't learn from them and fix the mistakes. It'll take time, but I know you'll be able to fix things between you two." I lightly chuckle as I shake my head. "When did you get so wise Kid?" He shrugs as he smiles at me. "I guess I've learned a thing or two from training with you."