Royal Guard Falls for His Princess

In the Midgar Kingdom, every king needs his queen, and every prince and princess needs a royal guard. King Grimoire has gone through several guards, and none have been loyal. He needed someone to keep an eye on his only daughter, Valencia, who was known to be a troublemaker. She often skipped her lessons, playing with swordsmen with her brothers Vincent and Geoffrey, as well as spending most of her time in the royal library. One day, an army general got recruited for the job, and the king couldn't be more excited. He met the new guy, giving him a grand tour of the castle.

"Now, your main duty is to make sure that my daughter stays out of trouble. Speaking of... Valencia! Get over here and give me that sword!" He yelled at a girl dodging an imaginary enemy's attack. The girl turned around, pouting as she gave the sword to her father.

"How many times do I have to tell you that it's not ladylike to use a sword? Shouldn't you be sewing or learning how to dance a waltz? Anyways, this is your new royal guard." The man bowed, hand over his chest.

"Sephiroth, at your service princess. It's an honor to meet you." The girl rolled her crimson eyes.

"Sephiroth, kindly escort her to her lessons. I have a meeting with the king of the Shinra kingdom, and I won't be back until the morning. Behave yourself, Valencia, and remember what I told you." The king walks away, leaving the two alone.

"So, shall we go malady?" The girl sighed, walking ahead of him.

"Do you think I'm not capable of ruling a kingdom?" Her voice was astoundingly beautiful, but it carried a hint of sadness.

"What makes you say such a thing? Did your father tell you something so foolish?" Sephiroth responded.

"I know I still have a lot to learn, but my parents want me to be this serious and well-behaved ruler, but how am I supposed to do that when all they do is criticize everything I do?" He felt bad for her. Her parents expected her to be this perfectly amazing, soon to be queen, but it was difficult knowing any little mistake could mess up her chance.

"I think you're doing great. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. Swordfighting is just one of the great qualities that a king or a queen can have. Besides, you're still young. You will be an outstanding queen one day." Valencia turned to her royal guard, in shock to hear that last sentence spew out of his mouth. Nobody has ever told her that before. And Sephiroth could see it in her eyes.

"Really? Do you think so? You're not just saying that to gain favor?" He hummed, shaking his head vertically.

"I see potential in you, princess. I see a powerful queen in your eyes." He escorted her all the way to the study room, where the tutor Genesis awaited, a frown upon his face.

"Princess, you're late again. And your dress is filthy. Were you playing swords again? Never mind, just sit down, and let's get started." Sephiroth restrained himself from choking him for the way he was speaking to the future queen of Midgar. Valencia sighed miserably, taking a seat in between her brothers, dismissing her guard for the time being.

"I'll come retrieve you when you are finished, princess." He bowed before closing the door behind him. While he was waiting, he explored more of the kingdom, learning different shortcuts, and where everyone's rooms were located. With the help from the royal gardener Aerith, he found Valencia's room, taking note of it being the third biggest room, with her parent's room being second and the ballroom being the first. Later that night, as he was getting ready to bid his princess goodnight, he noticed her on the balcony, looking oh so divine in the moonlight. She stood with her back to him, letting her hair flow with the gentle summer breeze. He entered through her bedroom, fixing his uniform.

"Princess? What are you doing out here?" She was quick to shush him, and that's when he heard her parents talking from the room on the right of her. He stood next to her, listening in. From the sound of it, the king and queen were right within a foot from their balcony, talking in hushed whispers.