No choice for women

About ten days had passed, Camille and the baby were fine. The doctor came several times, she has to rest. I stayed with her a lot, she is the important one. She insisted that I attend a bouquet making lesson and then eat outside to have some time alone. Louis and I start to irritate her, to treat her like a sick person. The lesson had been interesting, I stop by the milliner's to buy her a new ribbon in her favourite colour after eating. Time to go home ! He and Camille are waiting for me, she is... sad...

— Camille... is everything okay? the baby... I worry.

Camille interrupts me:

— I'm fine, the baby is fine. It's not that... You've had a visitor. Mr Fernsby has made his proposal.

— Wha... what.... mister Fersby... I look him up in my memory. He .... he's 35 and he's .... a widow from memory. No. No. He's old. No !

— I'm sorry, you were out. I know that...

— I... I don't want to.

— I know you don't.

— Uncle, he... you wrote to him already or ...

— Yes.

— Camille, I beg with tears in my eyes. I don't want this marriage.

— Gabrielle..." she take me in our arm.

I must leave you," escape Louis.

— Only a demand and if Uncle accepts, he will become my... husband. No! It's not fair! It's not fair! I say angrily.

Camille made me sit down.

— I don't want to marry him...

— Our uncle has not accepted. I didn't recommend it, but unless you have another one. You're here to get married.

— I know, but not to him.

— Women don't choose. We don't choose, it's our fate. But it's not done yet, there's hope, Colin might declare himself.

— In my dream. Please, please, write to Uncle again. I don't want to marry him. He will listen to you, I beg you.

— I can write to him... but I can't promise anything. If you have no other demands, I don't see why he should refuse. He is well endowed...

The tears came back, Camille held me again.

— I need to be alone. I run to my room and cry my heart out. I don't want to marry him no, no. I can't... I can't...

— Gabrielle, I'm here if you need me. I hear Camille, outside.

I continue to cry, unable to answer her. This couldn't be... my destiny, to marry a widow, who spoke to me once. This is not what I want. My whole life with him.... no, no.... please, God, no...