Chapter 1: Grind2ThaMoney

"What the heck?"

Curdis' mom looked over at him. "Hybrids. News says they're dangerous. So if you see one outside, come right back in."

The teen looked over at his friend, confused and bewildered. "I... I guess we should go toss the ball around."

Blonson nodded. "Yep. Let's go."

And so the boys headed out to the backyard, not really knowing what to say at this point.

They had just gotten some of the strangest news they'd ever heard, and they just had to deal with it like it was normal.

But nevertheless, Yung Penguin took the football and stood across from Blonson, throwing it back to him.

"Bro, life is so weird."

Blonson threw the ball back, sighing. "Yeah, I know, right? Animal people? That stuff is crazy, bro."

"Yeah, I mean, what if they're kids? Are the cops just gonna take em away or something?"

Blonson shrugged. "I don't know. I just don't wanna get caught up in a bad situation."

Curdis chuckled. "Don't worry, bro. We're a team. We'll be alright."

The boys played ball for a good amount of time, worrying less and less as the time went on.

But the thoughts still lingered in their minds. The world was now being introduced to Hybrids, and there was nothing they could do about it.

All Yung Penguin could do now was focus on his music.

The Next Day

It was finally in. B. Wells had finally sent his verse to Yung Penguin, and it was time to mix it in.

Gotta get 100 bands
Watch me take your lands
Take your gyal from your mans
He just got 100 brands on the neck, can't stand
Cause he knows I'm in the sand
Every time I make a plan, shoot 100 shots between his glands, yuh

That flow was amazing. And it was the first feature on his album, even though the song was short. Grind2ThaMoney was sure to be a hit.

Yung Penguin always made sure to get up early every day to work on his music. But it was mostly to take his mind off the fact that he had school again, and that he was going to have a lot of homework again, as he always did.

But as long as he contributed an hour (or more) a day to Future Legend, it would be out in no time.

The problem with Curdis' life, though, was that his routine hadn't changed. Other than on the weekends, every day was the same. Go to school, do homework, go to bed, with meals in between. The music was a nice change, and having Blonson over helped, but for the most part, Yung Penguin was bored. And deep down, he felt like this hybrid thing could bring some excitement into his life. Even if it was dangerous.

Secretly, he had an urge to encounter one.

But of course, he couldn't dwell on that. He had to get to school. So once he finished the main mixing for the track and finally listened to his mother's calls for him to get going, he sighed and headed out the door with his backpack and walked over to the car.

The only thing different about this day from any other was his football practice. At least 1 or 2 days a week, Yung Penguin had football after school. And he loved football, almost as much as he loved music. The Seattle Seahawks were obviously his favorite team, but his team was the clear second best. Sure, other kids were bigger and stronger than him, but they weren't faster.