Chapter 6: Ha

And then he woke up.

Gus sat up, breathing hard.

Curdis looked over at the boy, concerned. "Morning, bro. You have a bad dream?"

The boy nodded, his ears drooped.

"You'll get used to 'em." Jepperd chimed in, walking into the bus. "Remember what today is?"

"Train day." Gus replied.

"What else?"

"Market."

"Which means Last Men." Matt interjected.

"The same dudes from the other night." Steve added.

"Here. We made you a disguise." Charly offered, handing the boy a helmet.

"Disguise?" Gus perked up, his eyebrow raised.

"Like... a costume.... You know... Halloween."

"Yeah, of course. Halloween's when my pubba made pancakes the way I like them, and we'd hit things with slingshots."

Charly and Steve looked at each other, just having to lower expectations.

"Your pubba was a weird dude." Je Fizzle commented.

"Anyway..." Matt interrupted. "You're going in disguise as a human boy pretending to be a Hybrid kid." He grinned.

"But I am a Hybrid kid." Gus replied, not understanding the sentiment.

"Well, today, that's our secret." Curdis specified. "You're gonna be faking that you're fake, even though you're real.... Ok, that sounded better in my head."

"Are there any other Hybrids at the Market?"

"Only ones in cages." Jepperd said seriously.

Gus' ears drooped down again nervously.

Yung Penguin bent down and put his hands on Gus' shoulders. "Hey... you're gonna be ok. We're not far from the Market. And we'll be with you the whole way."

Gus looked into Curdis' eyes, a little scared. And Curdis could tell. "You won't leave me?"

The teen paused, looking at his friends, then back to Gus. "No. I won't. I promise."

The Hybrid wrapped his arms around Curdis, hugging him tightly. "Thanks, Yung Penguin."

Curdis Plumpkin chuckled, hugging the boy back. "Alright, guys. We ready to go?"

"Yup." Jeremy replied, nodding. Everyone else confirmed their readiness, so Jepperd picked up his stuff and exited the bus along with the rest of the kids.

They were now on the last leg of their journey. And deep down, Curdis didn't really want it to end. There was still a week left to be rebellious, and secretly, the rapper wanted to go to Colorado with Gus. But he knew it just wasn't possible.

Nevertheless, the group traveled down the path on quite a sunny day, telling jokes and coming up with new music ideas to end the album off with. One song in particular, was coming along pretty well.

Bank account, bank account, what's the cost?
Had to get some new grills, so I could learn to floss
Ridin' round town in a big benz truck
And I rock a green jersey, cause I need some good luck
Haha, haha, I laugh in their face
When he offered me a feature, I felt disgrace
You ain't gettin' racks like me (Nah)
I just laugh like luxury
Ha, ha, hey, hey
Stack up bands today
Flex hard, work hard
Shoot opps, don't need a bodyguard