Chapter 4: Chillin

What a way to start a break.

"Uhhhh... Hey." Curdis started, a little nervously. "My name's Curdis, this is Gus, and these are my friends. We don't want any trouble."

"Really? You don't want any trouble? You're out in the middle of the woods with a Hybrid. What did you think was gonna happen?"

In front of all the kids, there stood a rather large man, intimidating and armed. He'd just saved the boys from bounty hunters, but could he be trusted?

"Are you gonna hurt us?" Gus asked meekly, staying secure in Yung Penguin's hold.

The man shook his head. "I mean, I could.... but I'm not gonna."

Gus shuddered for a second, then realizing what he had said.

"Even I got limits." He admitted.

"Ok, well, what are you doing out here?" Blonson added, making a good point.

"Running."

"From what?"

"That's none of your business."

"It is now. We're trying to get to Colorado, and you're the only other person out here."

"Woah, woah. Colorado?"

"Yeah, that's where The Preserve is." Matt explained. "Have you heard of it?"

The man scoffed. "Yeah. But you're just kids. How do you expect to get there all by yourselves?"

"We're not by ourselves now." Gus chimed in. "We got you."

There was a pause in the air, everyone trying to wrap their heads around what Gus was proposing.

"Kid, I'm not taking you." The guy said, breaking the silence. "I got... things to do."

"Like what?"

"Trust me, kid. Guys like me, aren't good for kids like you."

Curdis patted Gus' shoulder. "I think he's right, Gus. Whoever's with that bad guy that just ran away will be looking for him, and if we're with him-"

"He can protect us. And plus, we can fight too."

Man, this kid was persistent.

Blonson sighed and stepped forward. "Ok, look. We're trying to make it to the train so Gus can find his mom. And if you're looking to get away from these bad guys... I think at least until we get there, you should stay with us. I mean, look at us. What if some other guys do come for us?"

The man turned around, as if in thought. He seemed to be talking to himself, trying to figure out what to do in this insane situation.

Finally, he turned around and took a step towards the boys. "I'm Jepperd. Tommy Jepperd."

Jeremy widened his eyes, finally figuring out who this guy was.

"Tommy Jepperd.... like the football player from the Minnesota Guardians?"

Curdis turned over to Je Fizzle, cocking an eyebrow. "You watch that underground college stuff?"

"Well, I wouldn't call it underground, but-"

"Yeah, yeah. I used to be a football player in college. But there's no time for that now. We gotta keep moving."

Gus' ears perked up. "Wait, so you're coming with us?"

"Yeah, I guess so. You convinced me. But only until we get to the station."

The Hybrid looked up at Gus, who smiled, nodding. "We were just about to set up camp."