Christmas Beach Vacation

"Wait? Are you serious?" I nearly shrieked, scaring the barista across the room. I flew at Sam, nearly crushing him to death in a hug. I could feel the rise and fall of his chest as he laughed.

"Yeah I'm serious. We can drive down there this weekend and I can get you back before Christmas. Just you and me."

I pulled back from the hug, "Wait. No kids?" he shook his head. "Wait so what about Sam and George?" If George was watching his sister for almost a week, I feared what we might come home to.

Sam laughed again. "Cook gets a place to stay and I get a piece of mind. Then you can just get Nick to watch Ren."

I had to be honest, I was quite impressed with Sam at the moment. I found it kind of odd he was taking me to a beach in the middle of winter though. I squealed again and kissed him more than necessary, causing a couple concerned stares from others in the quiet café.

Naturally, I went straight to Nick the next day, trying to plead him to take Ren for a couple of days. Nick laughed loudly from across the kitchen. "So it's an extended date, then?"

"No it's just a vacation with my boyfriend, okay?"

"At a beach?"

"Why not."

He snorted, "In the winter?"

"At least the beach won't be crowded." I offered, only causing another laugh to emanate from Nick's lips. "Please, Nick." I put on my best begging face, despite how pathetic I'm sure it looked.

Nick thought for a moment. "Well I hate Sam with a burning passion, but you're okay and time with Ren would be amazing. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't agree."

I flew up from where I sat and lunged straight into his chest, crushing him in a hug. He was solid beneath me and I could feel his heart speed up. It didn't take me very long to realize that he wasn't hugging me back. I suddenly felt stupid. I backed away quickly to see his confused expression. I blushed a million shades of pink all at once. "Uh, thanks. I'm, er, going to go, but, uh, I'll drop Ren off on Friday."

Nick pursed his lips and nodded. I quickly walked out the door and closed it behind me with an unintentional slam. I slumped all the way to the car and hopped inside.

"Hey, Brin, are you okay?" Sam said, leaning in with a look of concern on his face. I must have still been blushing.

"Oh, um, yeah. Just the cold."

"Did he say he would watch her?"

"Yeah. I'll drop her off before we leave." Honestly, I was more excited to go than Sam was. I'll be able to finally take a break from... all of that.