Fight for Me

Vanessa March 2025
Today is the due date for my fifth child. Last time I went to the doctor, the doctor says everything is perfect. In fact, the whole pregnancy has been the easiest pregnancy I have had yet. I am so excited for this little one. The only issue now is I am at my due date and no signs of labor yet. Also, I have this sense of dread I can't seem to shake.

The next day, I am doing dishes when I feel the first pang of labor. Three hours later, I have been having consistent contractions. Iris and I are watching a movie when another one hits.
"Mommy, are you okay?" Iris asks.
"Yes Baby. It seems like your little brother or sister will finally make their appearance soon."
"Really?"
"Possibly. I'm pretty sure I'm in labor."
"I'll call daddy!" She says jumping up and running to my room. She shuts the door before I can stop her.
"Well baby, daddy will be here soon. Your brothers and sister will also know soon. I hope you are ready to come into this crazy family."

An hour later, Usnavi comes rushing in the door.
"I'm sorry it took so long. I was in court and couldn't leave. I..."
"Usnavi, take a breath. I am fine. We are fine. My contractions are still 15 minutes apart. I tried to stop Iris from calling you but she moves faster than I can. We still have time. Now, give me a kiss and sit beside me."
He smiles and gives me a passionate kiss. "I love you so much Vanessa."
I cup his face and rest my head in his. "I love you too."
He sits beside me and lays a hand on my belly. "Soon we will be a family of seven."
I nod. "I will also have my doctorate in three years. Life is moving quick but I have enjoyed every moment of it. I can't wait to see what it holds. Hey, I have been thinking of names for this little one, if it is a boy."
"What are you thinking," he asks.
"Well, if it is a boy, I want to name him Luis. I want to name him after your father. I know we had discussed John but..."
"But what?"
"It's stilly. John is your business partner, but it is also the name of one of the men who took me."
"Oh god, I'm so sorry, I didn't even think about that."
A contraction hits before I can respond and Usnavi talks me through it. When I can talk again, I give him a gentle smile.
"No, there is nothing to apologize for. I really tried to accept it. It can still be his middle name.
"Amor, if it is a boy, I would love to name him Luis."

The next day, around 7, we determine it is time to get ready to go to the hospital. Our older kids are getting ready for school when Usnavi calls his mom. I finish helping Iris with her hair. As I do, another contraction hits hard.
"Mommy, are you okay?"
"Yes honey. Just another contraction," I say when I catch my breath. "The baby will be here today."
"Yay! Can I go to the hospital with you?"
I hug her close to me after I finish her braid. "No baby. You have school and there is not much you could do anyways. I will see you after the baby is here."
She hugs me tight. "I love you mommy."
"I love you too, so much."
She kisses my belly next. "I can't wait to meet you baby. I really hope you are a sister."
I laugh and stroke her hair. "We will see."

Iris and I walk out to the kitchen where Usnavi and Lilliana talking.
"Abuela!"
"Hi Princess."
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm going to take you and your brothers to school. Can you help me get them ready. Your mom and dad need to get to the hospital."
"Okay Abuela."
"Before we go, I need to hug my other kids too," I tell them.
I walk to each kid and hug them tightly. When I get to Javier, he looks concerned. "Mom, are you okay?"
I hold his face in my hands and kiss his cheeks. "Yeah baby. I'm okay. I just love you, so much."
"I love you too Mom."

Usnavi and I get to the hospital fifteen minutes later and they check is in. I am getting settled into the bed and Usnavi brings my favorite pillow to me.
"How are you feeling Amor?"
"I'm okay. I'm ready for my epidural. This pregnancy has been easy but this labor seems so much more painful."
"I don't think it should be too much longer."
"I... oh god!"
Another contraction rips through my body. Usnavi let's me cling to him. He wipes my tears and my sweat. When it is over, he kisses me sweetly.
"You are doing incredibly Amor."
I nod as I catch my breath. "Can you to check on the epidural?"
"Of course."
"One more thing, you know how much I love you, right?"
He kisses me a little more passionately. "You are my everything. I know."
"Also, if anything should happen, fight for me please.  If for some reason I can't speak for myself, be my voice."
"Vanessa, you're scaring me."
"I'm sorry babe. It just felt important to say. I can't explain why. I just felt the need to say it."
He takes my hand. "I will always fight to do what is best for you.."
He kisses my head one last time and leaves the room. While I sit there, my heart starts to feel like it is going to beat out of my chest. It is also getting increasingly hard to breathe and I feel so cold.
"Vanessa, they will be here in five minutes... Amor!"
He runs over places a hand on my head.
"Vanessa, what's wrong? Talk to me."
I try to talk but can't seem to find any words. My eyes close and I feel like I'm in a tunnel. I can still hear Usnavi talking to me and I hear an alarm.
"Vanessa! Talk to me! What's wrong?"
The last thing I hear before everything goes black is Usnavi yelling for help.