Chapter 31: We need to run

No one's (p.o.v)

They arrive back home. Mark turns to Jack, "Okay, you wait in the car. I'll go and grab some stuff. Don't leave the car."

Jack nods in fear and does what Mark says.

Mark walks out of the garage. He quickly returns with two bags on him, "In here is all we need. Do you have your phone on you?"

Jack nods, still looking terrified.

"Give it to me."

Jack does as he says. Mark throws the phone on the ground, stamping on it multiple times to break it.

Jack stares at it in disbelief, "What was that for?!"

Mark lays the bags in the back, "I'm sorry for that, but I had to. I don't want anyone to track us."

Jack's not sure what to do after hearing that, and his heart is still beating profusely.

Mark walks over to him, "I'm sorry for bringing you in danger like this, Jack."

He kisses him, which does help him calm down a bit. After he quickly gets in the car, "Okay, everything is ready. We're good to go."

Jack asks in a trembling voice, "Uhm... Where exactly are we going to?"

"We're going to a remote cabin. We should be safe there. The group doesn't know about that place."

"Oh..." Jack looks away, realizing what is happening but understanding why they need to hide. He then looks back to Mark, questioning, "Are-are you sure they don't know?"

Mark starts the car and starts driving, "Yes. I'm sure, Jack. I promise you."

Jack nods.

It stays quiet in the car for a while. Jack shifts in uncomfortableness, "But, what if someone else from the group followed us?"

"I doubt any of the other members knew about this. We should be fine."

"Two other guys know."

"What do you mean?"

He speaks again, hesitance clear in his voice now, "They helped him with kidnapping me. Once in the car, they drugged me. I don't know where they went after that since I woke up tied to the chair in that basement."

"Mmm... Well, luckily, they weren't there. Maybe the boss asked them to leave so he could handle this by himself."

Jack looks around nervously, "Do you think they might have followed us when they saw us leave?"

"No, I don't think so. I didn't see anyone follow us. We otherwise would have noticed by now."

"What if they still track us down?"

"They can't. They don't know where we are or where we're going. The only possible way for them to track us was with our phones. And we don't have those anymore."

He smiles up at Mark, "You're right. I guess I'm just paranoid."

"Well, we did only just get away, so no wonder you are. But know that you're safe with me." Mark holds his hand and smiles at him. Jack feels safe once he does.