Chapter 34: Is this the end?

Jack's (p.o.v)

*Bang*

I shoot up from bed, "Did you hear that?"

Mark looks up at me, "It was probably just an animal outside."

"Really? It sounded like it came from the living room."

Mark reassures me, "I'm sure it's nothing. Let's just go to sleep."

I lay back down, closer to Mark, "Y-yeah..."

*Bang*

I sit up again, "I heard it again."

Mark looks at me, and I can see he is afraid too, "Do you wanna go look? To ease your mind?"

I nod, hoping Mark was right and it was just an animal.

We get up and Mark opens the door to the living room. He instantly shoves me behind the door and signals for me to keep quiet.

I do so and hide behind the door.

"Hey, Mark. Did you really think you could hide from us here after what you did?"

"Oh shit. They found us. Fuck, fuck, fuck."

Mark walks out to the living room, closing the door.

I can hear them talking through the door. I get down and look through the keyhole.

"We all cared about you. He cared about you. And then you do that?"

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen, guys."

"Oh no, no, no. You're not getting away with those nice talks of you this time."

"I mean it. We were a good team together,"

"You murdered him in cold blood. To do what? Run off with your student?"

The other guy says, "Where is he, huh? I'm sure you didn't leave him behind."

"He isn't here. He didn't want to come with me."

"Sure, sure. You aren't helping him by hiding him. Why don't you go get him, and we all have a nice calm chat?"

"I told you, he isn't here."

"Come on, Mark. We just want to talk to him, that's all."

"You can't. I don't know where he is. I'm here alone."

"Don't make this go the wrong way, Mark."

One of them takes out a gun, "If you don't hand him over, we shoot you. Another dead body is no problem for us. You and I both know that."

"No, please. I need to save him. I'm going there, and they can have me."

I get up, but before I even reach the door handle, I hear a gunshot, "No."

I hear a loud thud and get down again. I look through the keyhole and see him lying on the floor. Beneath him is a pile of blood, "Mark, no... This can't be happening. This can't be real."

I see one guy walking over to me and I quickly stand up, "Oh, fuck. What do I do now? I can't hide here. There is no place to hide. Fuck, fuck, fuck."

Looking around the room in a frantic panic, I notice the window.

I can hear him reach the door.

Without thinking, I run to the window, open it and get out.

Once outside, I start sprinting. Not sure where to go or what to do.

After sprinting away, I hide behind a three for some time

After getting my breath back, "...What am I doing? I need to go back. Who cares if those guys are still there? I'm not leaving Mark alone there like that."

I try to run back, desperate to try and find the cabin again.

After running around in the dark forest for what seems like hours, I don't see anything else but trees surrounding me.

Out of breath, I lean against a tree and slump down.

I can feel tears streaming down my face, feeling devastated and heartbroken. "What am I going to do now?"

(End of book 1)