Chapter 33: At least we still have each other

Next morning,

No one's (p.o.v)

"Good morning, Jack." Mark is by the window, opening up the curtains

Jack hides under the blanket from the sunlight, "How late is it?"

"Around 8. o clock. Time for breakfast."

"Mmm... I'll be there soon."

Mark kisses him and then goes on to the kitchen.

Not much later, Jack's up, and still, sleepily, he asks, "Do we have coffee here?"

Mark chuckles, "Luckily, we do."

Mark grabs a bag of coffee grounds and starts to make coffee.

Jack walks over to him and watches intently, awaiting his coffee, "How come we have power here, actually? I kinda expected this cabin to be out of the grid."

"It technically is. But we have power cause of the generator in the back."

"What about the water?"

"There is a tank for it close by. It should be enough to last us a few years."

"Mmm, okay. That's great, actually. Does make it a bit more comfortable living here."

Mark hums in agreement.

When the coffee is ready, he pours both of them a cup and hands one to Jack, "There you go."

He gratefully takes a sip, "Thanks."

They sit down at the table and start eating breakfast. Bread and various other things.

"How come we have bread? I thought you said you only had canned things here."

"I took bread with me. It should last us a few mornings. After that, we can go to that village I told you about yesterday."

Jack nods, "Okay, that makes sense. So, any idea what we can do today?"

"We can take a look around the area."

"I thought you said you wanted to lay low for a few days?"

"Oh, no, no, no. What I meant was taking a look around the surrounding forest. We won't go far, but I thought that might be nice."

"Oh, yeah, that sounds nice. Let's do that."

"Shall we go after we finish our breakfast?"

"Sure."

After they finish their breakfast, they go outside, and Mark gestures to the left, "Let's go there."

They walk to the left, hand in hand.

They can hear birds chirping and the wind flowing through the trees.

"This is a really nice place."

"It is. It's really calming."

Jack nods, agreeing with him.

They walk for a while, in a leisurely stroll.

Mark looks to Jack and gestures to a fallen tree, "Maybe we can sit down there for a while. What do you think?"

"Sure."

They walk to it and sit down.

Once they sit down, Mark says, "Hey, Jack. There was actually something I was wondering about."

Jack looks at him, intrigued, "What is it?"

"Well... How do you actually feel about here?"

Jack looks at him, confused, "Huh? I'm not sure I get what you mean."