Chapter 11

"Do you remember me?" Steve asked, and Bucky turned his head to find his bestfriend standing at the glass wall.

"Yeah," he breathed. "you...you used to put newspaper in your shoes...so you could seem taller," a scoff followed his words and a soft smile pulled at his lips in memory.

"Bucky.. i-i thought you were dead." Steve said. "i saw you fall to your death.."

"Maybe if i was dead—maybe if i died after falling off that train none of this would've happened." Bucky said solemnly, and both Sam and Bruce shared a look with each other.

"You're going to be okay," Steve said. "I'm not letting anyone hurt you Buck."

At the captains words Bucky lifted his gaze, he had always been the one to protect Steve, keep him safe. But now Steve stood tall strong and bulked up promising to keep him safe.

"Can i run some tests, make sure you're okay?" Bruce asked, earning a nod in reply. He unlocked the cell door and beckoned Steve to follow.

"How do you feel?" he asked.

"Besides a splitting headache and regret... great." Bucky replied numbly, his tone full of sorrow.

"Your vitals look good. I can tell your brain activity was just like Alex's. I'm going to go ahead and say it looks like you've had an influx of memories hit you too, am i right?" Bruce stated while poking his tech pad.

"Yeah... i uh, i remember everything..." Bucky said, voice breaking on the last part and Steve looked from Bruce to his bestfriend.

"Look, everything seems okay, i don't see any danger here." Bruce said with confidence then turned his gaze to Steve.

"I'll talk with Tony, see if we can move him to a room rather than keep him in a cell." he added, bringing his attention back to Bucky.

"After everything you've been through, i know it's not beneficial for your mental health. I'll give you guys some time to catch up,"

And with that, Bruce picked up his stuff and headed out, gesturing for Sam to follow but the falcon was a little more hesitant.

"You okay cap?" He asked.

"Yeah Sam, i'm good" Steve said, giving him a nod and head tilt as if to say, go on, get out of here.

Once the two left, Steve pulled a chair opposite Bucky and sat down while the ex Hydra assassin sat on the edge of the bed slumped over looking worse for wear.
He looked nothing like how Steve remembered him.

The fun, flirty, bubbly guy who lived for adventure, who was a huge flirt with all the ladies was gone. Hydra had destroyed him but Steve was determined to get him back.

"Bucky... I'm just going to go ahead and ask.." Steve started, seeing as there was no point in walking over eggshells. "Who is Alex to you?"

"Alexandra.." Bucky whispered, a half smile tugged at his lips as he remembered when he first met her. Steve waited for him to explain.

"You remember that girl i spoke to you about for months before i got drafted..." Bucky asked. "The one i gave you a rain check over on my last night,"

"You mean the one you told me was so special she captured your heart the moment you set eyes on her?" Steve recalled.

"Yeah.." Bucky breathed, the ghost of a smile on his face when he raised his gaze to lock with Steve's

"Wait..." the captain paused, thinking it over. "Wait...no..no way!" he shook his head in disbelief while Bucky nodded slowly.