Chapter 65

Winters grip on Alex's arm never faltered when they landed at the secure base. Rumlow insisted she be blindfolded when they were half way there. The super soldier pulled her along, and Alex bit back a whimper at the sting of vibranium fingers digging into her bicep. She yearned to pull his arm, and show him how it felt.

One step off the jet, the crisp cold wind slashed across her face, and the pine scent in the air told her there might've been a forest some place in the distance. It was cold—too damn cold that it made her lips quiver. Her feet crunched under a soft texture and the cold seeped through the soles of her boots.

Snow...

Alex listened with her advanced hearing and picked up heartbeats, a subtle crackling noise from the building they headed into, and the sounds of an alarm systems subtle beeping from the perimeter they no doubt secured. The smell of rendering told her it must be a stone or concrete building. When her shoulder brushed against the wall she felt the metal reinforcements.

Alex listened as the commander spoke with the frontal guards. They were granted access and passed through high-tech security to step into an elevator and descend into the base. It was then she realised it was all underground and that explained why they couldn't track Sharon's whereabouts.

The further down they sailed, inside the metal cube with its dark walls and one globe fluorescent light, Alex's heart beat harder against her ribcage. She wasn't claustrophobic in nature, but the dank box made the feeling itch beneath her skin. She hated this place already...even though she couldn't see the confines yet, she could feel them.

Once they stopped at the destination, Winter shoved her forwards and they headed down a narrow hallway that opened into a foyer type of space. Alex stood with her wrists bound and listening.

Rumlow's footsteps headed over to a nook in the room, and then voices followed as he made the outcome of the mission sound appealing when he informed Sharon of the addition to their cause. After a few minutes, multiple foot steps echoed in the room. They were heavy and definitely the type of men. A few of Sharons manipulated soldiers lined the walls with arms folded over their chests. 

In the next heartbeat, the blindfold was torn off, and the sudden exposure to light had Alex squinting and blinking to adjust. Her first instinct was to scan the area. The men lining the walls looked like actual statues from a museum with the way they stood prim and proper, ready to throw hands if the order was given.

Alex drew her gaze to the right, and noticed computers—multiple computers filling an entire wall, and on them were security footage of so many places on the continent. Average looking men dressed in white lab coats were buzzing about on the tech, typing on keys and scanning all sorts of footage.

To the left of her was an exit and further down the right happened to be a hallway. Alex assumed that was the way towards other rooms in the base.

She gasped when her body was abruptly shoved forwards, causing her to stumble a step before righting herself. The chains rattled at her wrist and Winters grip was gone. For the first time, Alex came face to face with the bitch who ruined everything. Restraining herself from beating the hell out of her was harder than she thought.

The ex-shield agent stood before her with blonde shiny hair that was past shoulder length. Her blue eyes held a smug look and her lips parted in preparation of speaking. She wore navy blue jeans with a black long sleeve top and boots. It was warmer inside then outside but there was still a bite in the air.

"So, you're the girl causing so much trouble," Sharon said, her way of greeting.

Alex deadpanned. "It was my pleasure." She smiled, jutting her chin out.