006 | addictions and tense interactions

backstreet girl, from another world

HER CHEST FELL up and down rhythmically, rich with oxygen and nicotine

HER CHEST FELL up and down rhythmically, rich with oxygen and nicotine. The smell of mangos permeated the air, mingling with the excitement of teenagers. Ivette sighed as the sound reverberated through her body. Her muscles loosened, falling flush against the cushioned seats. She sat at the back of the bus, her classmates rejoicing in front of her.

They were on their way to their summer camp, and it was safe to say that everyone—well, mostly everyone—was bouncing in anticipation.

"̴͍͓̏̅͘W̵̱̋̿ͅa̸̤̦̻̒̀̏ì̴̯̼̅t̷̳̽̏,̷͓͙̇̾͆͜ ̶̙͂w̷̻͋ȃ̶̼̟̈́í̵̢̭̘t̴͙̜̻̆̊.̷̮̳̎̊̓ ̸̭̣͇̍̎̌Ġ̷̗̌ó̵͍ ̴̧̹̳̃̉b̷̖̈́̉ạ̵̻͑̽c̸̤̄̄͋k̴̩͉̍̆̋ ̸̼͕̪̈ṵ̴̂͠p̴̭̖̼͂.̷̯̟̀́͠ͅ ̴̪̃I̷͙͍̟͌̓ ̸̥̝̼͒̐ḏ̴͖̼̅̔͝į̷̏̕d̶̠̤̞͑̓ņ̵͈͒͗'̷̭̱͇͋̐̏t̶̯͋͌͂ ̸͔̞̦̈́̅̚f̶͖̟͇͂̇i̶̱̅̍n̸͚̺̪͗i̵̛͙̊s̴̫͌̽h̴̥̋͝ ̶̼̻̖̒̆͘ŕ̷̹e̵̬͂͝á̸̦̀̊d̸̯͈̗͆͘i̷̡̬̲͌ǹ̵͈̠̿g̷̰͙̃͘͘ ̸̛̪͍̘̐̔t̵͇̠̾̂h̶̹̾̀ȁ̸̹̜̤̇̽t̷̛͈̿̓.̴̹̦́͐̌"̶͈́̚

It's just a dumb post, Ivette thought but did as Bruno ushered. She had her phone in her hands, arms holding it above her face.

"̴͚̱̽̈́Ő̵̮̙̙̑̌ḩ̸̮̫̎̒,̶͙̟͇͒͒̈ ̵̢̦̱̈́̚͝y̶̗̬̿̅e̶̮̘̹̓͘͝ȧ̸̜͓h̶̲̼̃ͅ.̶̹̼̀͜ ̶̧̩̼̒Ỳ̵̭ò̶̳̪͑͝u̸̞͗ ̵̣͈̕w̸̬͆ȩ̷̭̔̊̈́ř̵̛̪͓̕ͅe̴̛͇ ̴̬̔r̵̢̡̹̀͠i̸͙̮̐̎̈́g̶͕̈́h̵̳̞̏̆̋t̷͉̹̜͘͠.̷̝͖͑ ̸̜̜̋C̶̖̞̕o̷̤̫̿̀̏n̸̼̐͠ţ̴̗̹̏̀̈́ī̴͔̦͒͋ň̸̬̖͈ǘ̸͈̈́é̷̢̛͕.̴̪̘̜̃"̷̻̘̟̕

Ivette scrolled through her social media feed idly, using it to fill in the time.

"What's that smell?" she heard Jiro ask a few rows in front of her.

"My reason for living," Ivette deadpanned.

Bakugo turned swiftly in his seat, eyes glaring daggers into her soul. "Can you not?"

"I don't know, can I?" she quipped back, sticking her tongue out. Her vape sat on her chest, just a head-tilt away from her lips. It wasn't too noticeable, camouflaged by the darkness of her shirt. The only thing giving it away was the colourful lines that swirled down its side and formed tiny petals at the base. It was some sort of brand, no doubt something Ivette had bought online, away from her mother's prying eyes.

Bakugo scowled, his upper lip pulled over his teeth. "I will throw that shit out the window."

Ivette held his gaze, dark green wisps circling her irises.

"Do it, and I'll flip this bus over."

"Okay, okay, how about we all calm down, yeah?" Kirishima interrupted, jumping in to stop an argument from fizzling. The hostility between his soulmates had slowly been growing over the last few weeks. It was unnoticeable at first—a subtle insult here, a sharp bite there. Now? He and Todoroki were facing the full force of it. "Ivette, can you put it away for a bit? We can smell it from here, and if Aizawa-sensei realizes what it is, he'll confiscate it."