Chapter 23: Misplaced

Anna's POV
"Anna! Anna!" My mom is shouting from the bottom of the staircase. I'm sure they can hear her all the way in Scotland. I am packing up a bag. I want to sleep over at the hotel. I booked Dani a room to stay in since she told me she's having problems with her mother. "Anna St Patrick!"

I stormed out of my room in a fit. "What?" I screamed at her.

"Get down here now!"

"Why?" I shouted.

"Are you two deaf?" The Colonel walked past me. "Because I'm not. Stop shouting. Go downstairs and talk to your mother!"

I made my way down with the Colonel behind me. "What is it mother?"

"Why do you have a room booked at the Waldorf Astoria?"

It's a fancy hotel in Manhattan. It's the only place I have ever been to. I was with Bruce when we went there to meet his friends. It's the first hotel that came to mind. I figured a night or two is enough before I confront Bruce to take my best friend back. But it has turned into a week. If my trust fund wasn't big, I would worry. "I don't. I don't know what you are talking about."

I can smell my father's scent. He's right behind me. I am sandwiched between them. "Care to rephrase dear daughter?" He asked me in a tender tone.

"Fine. I booked a room a week ago."

"Are you having sex?" My mother questioned me. "Who is th bum who can't pay for a hotel room?"

"Mother,sorry to disappoint you but I'm eighteen, almost nineteen and I'm not a virgin!"

My father turned me around. "Who is the bastard?"

"There's no bum or bastard in the hotel room!" I have to change the story fast! I'm not telling them about Liam! They will pulverize him! "It's for Dani!"

"Dani? Bruce's ex?" My mother frowned.

"Yes. She had an ugly disagreement with her mother and she had nowhere to go. This is the only way I could help."

"You are spending thousands so that your social climbing best friend can stay at the Waldorf? No. I'm calling and cancelling the reservation."

She strutted off in her six inch heels. I turned to the Colonel for help but nothing. I chased after her. "Mom! Mom stop! Don't do that!" I blocked her. "If you do that your grandchild will have nowhere else to go!"

This is not how I planned to let this slip. Sometime after promising Dani that I will help with Bruce, I realized that I cannot confront my brother. I planned to let it slip over breakfast or any other meal time with my parents but I also could not do that to Brucey. Now I have no options left.

"Grandchild?" She asked me. "Dani is pregnant."

"Yes. And Bruce broke up with her. Her mother knows she's pregnant and they had a big fight about it and she kicked Dani out. Mom, she has nothing and nowhere to go."

Sympathy settled in her gaze. She looked at the Colonel. He has a hard face. "Remember Marianna when she was scared of the possible pregnancy?"

"When we drove around looking for the pills."

"Yes. She's... roughly Marianna's age. What the hell is wrong with your son? Didn't you talk to him about protection?"

"Anna, I understand the sympathy you have for your friend but women lie about these things. How sure are we that she is pregnant?"

"Daddy that is a really insensitive thing to say."

"I know. Without proof, you will cease to support her stay at a luxurious hotel. Should there be proof, it's Bruce's responsibility, not yours. Take us to her."