Chapter 27: We Own The Police

Dani's POV
I spent the night in a guest room with Mrs Mancini watching over me. She's a sweetheart. She hummed and lulled me to sleep. Giorgio did not come around but I know he must be angry about how last night turned out.

"You look pretty." Mrs Mancini smiled at me. "It must be a boy. They say they omen get prettier if it's a boy."

Bruce would prefer a girl. I hope this won't be a disappointment to him.

"Thank you." I got closer to her. "Are you sure this will work?"

"Yes. I have a plan. You just have to get away. When the car stops in front of the hospital, go left all the way at down the street then take a right. From there, take a taxi to the airport. Find my son Marco. I already spoke to him. He will take you home. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"From there I can have nothing to do with your escape. You just understand that the punishment will be equally grave for me."

"Just give me a chance and I'll do the rest."

She took my hand and we walked out together. The bodyguards got out of her way as well as servants. She kept her face friendly for everyone we came across. My heart is racing at the speed of light. When we reached the front door, a door I have never used, I almost started shaking with excitement. As soon as we set foot outside, Giorgio intercepted us.

He has an ugly bruise on his forehead. I did that to him.

"Mother, good morning."

"Good morning."

"What's going on here?" He looked between us. She held onto my arm more firmly.

"She needs to see a doctor. There was some bleeding after your assault Giorgio." She told him.

"Bleeding? So? It's not my fucking kid. I don't care. Take her back inside!"

"Don't raise your voice at me! Your father has agreed to this doctor's visit. Take it up with him."

She pushed him aside but he grabbed hold of my arm. His eyes look dangerously angry. "If you try anything stupid Daniella and I mean anything, I will make you regret it!"

He released me.

Mrs Mancini accompanied me to th back of her car and the second we drive off I sighed. As agreed, we remained silent. She is fanning herself and breathing hard occasionally just as we practiced. She will feign a heart attack. The bodyguards will pay more attention to her. That is when I'll escape.

We looked at each other, still holding hands.

She started coughing. "Are you okay?" I asked her as we practiced.

"It's my chest. It's feeling a little tight. Are we close to the hospital?" She asked them.

"Sì signora. A few more minutes. Are you unwell?"

"Si. My chest... Dio!" The hospital is getting close. My heart beat is still sky high. As soon as the car stopped, she got out first. I followed. She started coughing violently and heaving as well. "My heart!" The two bodyguards and the driver paid attention to her. As soon as I got the opportunity, I slipped away and made a run for it. I ran as fast as my baby can allow me to. I didn't look back. I just kept going l, edging closer and closer to the end of the street.

I took a right, and just then called on a taxi. When it stopped I got in. "Buono-"

"Go! Airport!" I have no time for small talk.He drove away quickly. I kept looking back to check if I'm being followed. There is no one behind us that stands out. I hoped for a swift getaway but we drove into traffic. "Isn't there another way?"