An unexpected customer

Scents of warm coffee and baked sweets waft through the shop and the doorbell rings, telling me a new customer has arrived. One of my co-worker welcomes them before disappearing to clean the bathrooms. Normally I would be relaxed and serene but as I make the third attempt at a cappuccino with three espresso shots and an extra pump of caramel, the crude lady who insists her coffee is all wrong glares at me over the counter. Her anger has been building and she insists that her coffee tastes weird and that I made it wrong, even though I have done exactly as she asks.

When I finally finish her new cup and slide it to her with the best award winning fake smile you have ever seen, she rolls her eyes with a quiet, “We'll see if you finally got it right.”

So I don’t throw myself over the counter at her, I take deep breaths and continue smiling politely which pisses her off more. She takes one sip, her face scrunching up in the most disgusted expression you have ever seen. She gags, setting the drink back on the counter, “What does it take to get a good cup of coffee around here? The woman who normally makes mine does it perfectly. Every. Time. Are you sure there's no one else here?”

Sighing I resist the urge to slam my head against the wall and shake my head, “I’m sorry ma’am, it's only me and Jeremy here right now. Is there anything else I can make you instead, would you enjoy a croissant?”

The woman huffs in displeasure and turns around to leave. I look down and start to tidy the area, dumping her drinks into the trash before I glance up at the next customer. Usually Jeremy or Riley would help them but Jeremy has bathroom cleaning duty today and Riley is out. “Hello, Sorry about that-”

That's when I realized who’s in front of me. Kim Seungmin. We had English class together in college, he’s working as an idol in Stray Kids, a popular Kpop group. Though I majored in cosmetology,  we bonded over dance and just common interests in general like writing and music. I always adored him, he’s so sweet, and sarcastic but reliable. Though he could also be mischievous and quite fun once you get to know him.

I must have been gaping at him because he waves at me with a bright smile, “Oh, Hello Y/N, how have you been?”

My smile, this time honest, widens across my face, “I’m wonderful, thanks for asking, how’s being incredibly talented going for you?”

Seungmin raises his brow with a smug smile, “You listen to Stray kids?”

Giggling, I nod my head, “of course, you guys are wonderful and I have to support my old friend.”

He nods his head in acknowledgement, “How’s everything going?” I can tell he's trying not to ask the obvious, why I’m not doing model’s makeup or something.

Pulling away slightly I let out a long breath, “Side job, I haven't found any good makeup gigs for a bit so this is my backup job.”

“Ah, well, if you want, our makeup artist is about to have a serious surgery and will be out for a bit. I could hook you up and of course you’d have to be interviewed and everything. But if you're hired you could be me and the other’s makeup artist for a bit, maybe even permanently depending on how good you are and how the others like you.”

My lips part slightly and I try not to jump over and hug him as tight as possible, “Uh, yeah, that would be… so generous. Amazing. Oh my god, this could change my whole career.” Before I can ramble off in my own mind I ask, “That would be great, thank you so much, here.”

I give him my number, I scrawl it out quickly on a napkin and realize something else, “oh, I’m so sorry, What would you like?”

He dismisses my worry with a wave and says gently, “I’ll just have a Americano coffee and a blueberry muffin, thanks.”

Nodding, I get to work, and so it's not awkward, I ask, “So, what are you doing here? You're a long way away from Korea.”

I don’t see him but I hear as he shuffles from foot to foot, “A new music video, we always travel to new places that really help get inspiration. It’s nice to get a break like this every once in a while.”

I can’t imagine. All the stress and fans everywhere. At least here not as many people probably know them. Finally I finish his tea and grab a muffin from the display before handing them over. “Here you go, that will be five fifty, it was nice to see you again Seungmin, don’t be afraid to text me, okay? Have a good day.”

Seungmin gives another brilliant smile of his before leaving with his drink and muffin in hand. After I hear the bell tinkle once again I sigh. My dream of being a makeup artist, for Stray Kids no less, may be finally happening. I never thought this day would come.