Chapter 2

"Some think 'I'm satisfied with how I lived my life. It's okay to end it here', and they just relax and let go of the reins. And some curse their imminent death, thinking 'why must I die here?' and refuse to let go."

Jungkook was staring directly at me, and I saw something dark flicker in his sea-blue eyes, just for a moment. Basically, everyone here now thought the latter."

You made it sound so emotive, but...

"So when you were about to die, you were thinking 'I don't want my life to end yet?'" - "To put it plainly, yes." - "...But that sounds perfectly normal to me." - "What?"

Wait, that didn't come out sounding quite how I meant to.

"I mean... obviously I haven't actually died myself, so I can only imagine what it might be like. But I'm sure if there were things that I felt were left undone, I'd think exactly the same - that I wouldn't want to die yet."

Jungkook was silent in response, but the way he was staring at me told me he hadn't expected me to say that.

"(Y/n), you're very kind, and very strong, too." - "I am?" - "I think it shows a special sort of kindness to be able to imagine how other people might feel like that."

Taehyung's smile was as soft and as warm as spring sunshine, and as I smiled back at him, another cheerful voice spoke up.

"That said, even for those of us who didn't want to die, our reason for being reborn are as unique as we are." - "I see. And what was your reason for wanting to be reborn, Jimin?" - "Me? Isn't it obvious? I wanted more time to chase all the pretty skirts frolicking around." - "...You came back as a vampire for that?" - "Hmm? Do you think me frivolous? Why, I'll have you know women are my reason for living!" - "Just to be clear, unlike Jimin, the rest of us didn't come back to life for nothing more than our most base impulses." - "Hey, Jooheon, why don't you tell (Y/n) what your reason was?" - "Me? Um... I came back because I wanted a quiet place where I could have lots of time to think. Although, I'm not really sure one could actually call this 'a quiet place'."

Jooheon's frown looked more like a pout, and there was something so adorable about it that I had to bite back a giggle.

"(Y/n), what other questions would you like to ask us?"

Honestly, I've got so many I barely know where to start, but I think I need to mull over what they've already told me first!

"I think that's all I want to ask right now. But thank you all for explaining things so clearly." - "Finally, a smile. I'm glad to see you smiling, (Y/n). I'd like to ask a question for you, next." - "Of course, go ahead." - "Now that we've told you the truth, let me ask you this again. Are you still willing to spend the month here with us?" - "Namjoon..." - "For various reasons, this time is more dangerous than the one you live in. I mean it when I say I want to keep you safe. I'm the reason you ended up in this place, and this time period. I have a responsibility to see you safely home."

I appreciate that, but... I'm still trying to get my head around everything you've just told me!

"...Are you worried that one of us might bite you?"

I turned to find Hoseok studying me, his gaze calm and gentle, and I was reminded of how I'd trusted him from the start.

All my years of being polite and trying not to offend anyone urged me to reassure him that I wasn't worried.

But I feel like I can be honest here. No, not just that - I need to be honest.

"Yes, I am. A little, anyway." - "I'm glad you're honest about it. So let me be honest, too. We already have blood we can drink. And a blood substitute, too. And while you're staying here, we'll all make sure to be extra careful. Even more careful than usual. But you should remain at least a little wary at all times, okay? Consider it the most basic tenet that will allow you to survive in this world, (Y/n)."