Chapter 16

"I don't believe that the time you two spent together was a lie." - "What do you mean?"

Yoongi studied me, and then his gaze turned distant, and his expression gentled, as if remembering something.

"There was a day when I was composing, and I glanced out the window and saw the two of you, talking and playing with Chérie."

I remember. That was when I finally admitted to myself that I was in love with Chan.

"The gentle sunshine lit up your smiles, and the two of you looked so happy together... and I actually found myself wanting to play one of my own pieces, which isn't like me." - "...'Voi che sapete che cosa è amor'." - "What?" - "We heard you playing. And Chan told me... that you told him what the song was about." - "...I see."

That sunny afternoon hadn't been that long ago, and yet somehow it felt like the distant past - a past I couldn't bring back.

I hated the way that made me feel, and I tried to ignore the ache in my heart as I focused on Yoongi again.

"What are you going to do now?" - "About Chan?"

I nodded, and Yoongi sighed, his gaze sliding away from mine.

"I don't know. He's so obstinate there might not be anything I can do. But..." - "But...?" - "I'd like to be here for him, and watch over him, where I can. And... if possible, I'd like to help him, if he needs me. That's the only thing I can do for him."

I nodded slowly, and just then, I heard Jisung's voice, calling me from afar.

Yoongi reached out suddenly, placing Chan's notebook in my hand, and then he smiled.

"So... you don't need to carry this burden alone."

I nodded quickly, knowing that if I spoke, I'd burst into tears, but his smile said he understood.

----------

Yoongi watched as (Y/n) hurried off to find Jisung, his voice soft with sorrow as he murmured,

"...Chan; are you really going to push (Y/n) away like this? Isn't she the hope you've needed, all this time?"

----------

Jisung and I went into town together to buy groceries, as well as the random things the residents had asked for.

By the time we'd finished our shopping, the sun was sinking towards the west, turning the sky mauve and orange.

"Oh no, I forgot to get the coffee beans Jimin asked for! (Y/n), would you mind waiting here for just a few minutes?"

We were both laden with shopping by that point, and I gave him a rueful smile.

"I don't mind at all. I'll sit and keep an eye on all this while you get the coffee." - "Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll be back in no time."

Soon, I was sitting on a nearby bench, all out shopping piled at my side as I waved Jisung on his way.

A soft breeze whispered past, ruffling my hair and pushing gently at the passerby, as if hurrying them home.

But as the sunset colours deepened, I found myself staring down at my handbag, and the notebook tucked inside it.

Jisung was in such a hurry to leave, I just ended up bringing it with me, but... I don't even know what to do with it.

I hope I can give it back to Chan one day.

The idea of just throwing it away makes me so sad.

I pulled the notebook out, lightly stroking his name on the cover, and then I found myself opening it.